I have seen hell, and it's...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twanger

Über Member
the A358 between Taunton and Minehead. It is actually impossible to walk from Taunton to Bishops Lydeard, a village a few miles away, because there is 400 yards of road that it is impossible to walk down. No provision for pedestrians and no detour round. And traffic passing at fifty. We actually had to turn back and get a bus ONE STOP through that stretch of the road.

OK, I was hiking (Mrs Twanger is only just entering into the delights of the bike, on a Dahon folder which does not lend itself to the great outdoors), but I would not have the courage to cycle that road in any case.

I will never, ever complain about this city again, or forget the ease and beauty of walking and cycling in this civilised, urban heaven. No one can claim that the car dominates London when you compare it with the utterly motorised hell of "rural" Somerset.

snorri

Legendary Member
Twanger said:
I will never, ever complain about this city again, or forget the ease and beauty of walking and cycling in this civilised, urban heaven. No one can claim that the car dominates London when you compare it with the utterly motorised hell of "rural" Somerset.
It's not just Somerset;), one of the things I enjoy about visiting London is the opportunity it gives to walk considerable distances on smooth surfaces without being intimidated by motor vehicles. Ok you have to observe some simple rules, but as long as you do that, London is pedestrian friendly.

PBancroft

I've seen hikers in similar situations with walkings poles held out at an angle to force motorists to pass safely or get damaged paintwork. Not sure I'd condone that, but I guess it must work.

D4v0

I used to cycle from Watchet to minehead regularly and the summer season was lethal with all the holiday makers going to butlins.

There is a road that I cycle down now to haslemere, that is impossible to walk because of steep embankments and is the only road between the 2 busy towns (apart from 1 that would take you on a 20 mile hike)

Lurker

Twanger said:
the A358 between Taunton and Minehead. It is actually impossible to walk from Taunton to Bishops Lydeard, a village a few miles away, because there is 400 yards of road that it is impossible to walk down. ... No one can claim that the car dominates London when you compare it with the utterly motorised hell of "rural" Somerset.

Anyone know whether this stretch of road is Highways Agency or Somerset County Council's responsibility? Also, whether there exists a website listing of all HA-controlled roads?

Highways Agency motto:
Safe roads, Reliable journeys, Informed travellers

Maybe this should read:
Safe roads, Reliable journeys, Informed travellers, Terrified Walkers and Cyclists

Lurker

Or, on second thoughts, the Highways Agency's mission statement could be:

Unsafe roads, Reliable journeys, Informed travellers, Terrified walkers and cyclists

OP
OP
Twanger

Twanger

Über Member
A walking pole and even a bazooka won't stop a ton of car hitting you hurt a bit.

The irony for me is simply this - that we have so much more freedom here in the middle of a ludicrously large city than they do down in the country. You can spend many, many hours walking in the deserted beauty of the Quantock Hills (we did! and it was deserted in mid-week), but you have to drive to get there.

Cab

D4v0 said:
I used to cycle from Watchet to minehead regularly and the summer season was lethal with all the holiday makers going to butlins.

I was in Minehead at the weekend. The cycle 'facility' now installed on the way in to Minehead coming up from the South is shocking.

Cab

Any A-road that becomes so busy or complex that cyclists and pedestrians are effectively excluded is failing in its purpose. Many A-roads are walkable, but all too many are becoming solely the domain of motorised vehicles. That ain't a good thing.

cygnet

Having been down it a few times, I'd say it's not pleasant but bearable on a bike, though there are more interesting routes. On foot: get yourself an OS and check out the off-road footpaths - it seems quite possible to make a much pleasanter (though slightly longer) walk between the two.

Top Bottom