I have to laugh at myself sometimes....

....so there I am on a Tuesday evening riding down the Downs Link trail (30.4 kms of disused railway if you're interested) in a time of 1hr 45. Now I did this ride a while ago when I was getting back into cycling and it took me the best part of an hour longer (plenty of 'comfort' stops) so I was well pleased with my time tonight. But I was still not satisfied until I remembered........ I'm 18 stone and an average of 12 mph on an MTB over a rutted track aint too sad. What'dya think?

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
TheBoyBilly said:
....so there I am on a Tuesday evening riding down the Downs Link trail (30.4 kms of disused railway if you're interested) in a time of 1hr 45. Now I did this ride a while ago when I was getting back into cycling and it took me the best part of an hour longer (plenty of 'comfort' stops) so I was well pleased with my time tonight. But I was still not satisfied until I remembered........ I'm 18 stone and an average of 12 mph on an MTB over a rutted track aint too sad. What'dya think?
Bloody well done is what I think !!!

I have to say that it was a very enjoyable summer evening ride. Lots of dog walkers about but all were very friendly. It's a good job the Bax Castle pub is only a few minutes into the ride or I would have been tempted to stop! As it was, I saved that pleasure for the pub at the end of the route (my local as it happens) which is at the end of this old railway line.

Well HLaB & NormanD I was thinking this myself. I can see where I could easily get my time down by those 15 or so minutes. For example I eased off going through the only real 'on-road' section; and had, out of courtesy, slowed considerably when coming up behind dog-walkers and joggers. What I am really looking forward to though is a ride back home from a late-shift in the dark. I think my Exposure Joystick is more than good enough for this trail. Blokes at work think I am mad but I look at it this way: it takes me 1hr 40 minutes to get home by train - doing this ride whether by day or night will take me around 2hrs 30mins. So for the sake of 50 minutes I get a bloody good workout that will save me going out when I could be doing something else.

Bayerd

Über Member
TheBoyBilly said:
Well HLaB & NormanD I was thinking this myself. I can see where I could easily get my time down by those 15 or so minutes. For example I eased off going through the only real 'on-road' section; and had, out of courtesy, slowed considerably when coming up behind dog-walkers and joggers. What I am really looking forward to though is a ride back home from a late-shift in the dark. I think my Exposure Joystick is more than good enough for this trail. Blokes at work think I am mad but I look at it this way: it takes me 1hr 40 minutes to get home by train - doing this ride whether by day or night will take me around 2hrs 30mins. So for the sake of 50 minutes I get a bloody good workout that will save me going out when I could be doing something else.
That's the way to view it, plus if you can do that 5 days a week, you'll be spending a fortune on a new wardrobe....

5 days a week would be pushing it a bit I'm afraid, Bayard mate, but I have other cycling workouts programmed onto my Polar Personal Fitness account so hopefully I am getting more than enough exercise now. I've lost nearly two stones since the last week of March so I know I am getting somewhere. By the way, when I said it would take me 2hrs 30 mins to do this I included the time getting to the start of the trail by train from work.

Bill

Top Bottom