I just won a crap bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
He he!

I wanted a crap, cheap bike to ride to the gym on and to town and back on, because I am not going to take a £1000 full-carbon road bike all of two miles into town and leave it chained to a lamp-post!

Anyway, I am now £41.76 poorer and the proud owner of the completely sh*t contraption that is attached to this post! The seller lives local so I will pop round and sling it in the back of the car (filthy beast) in due course.

It is a three-speed (sturmey-archer) and is a bit rusty round the edges. Apparently it is "ready to ride", so I bid on it. I have no idea what the frame size is; it looks about 18" or 20", which is fine.

The good thing is that it will never ever get nicked, because no bugger would be seen dead on it! I should think that if I chained it to a chav, he would pay me to take it away.

Even if the wheels and other bits are shot to buggery, hopefully the steel frame is a good 'un and can be rebuilt on, should I wish to do so.

Does anyone have any idea what it actually is?! (Anything that is not made of carbon fibre or aero-grade aluminium or titanium is a mystery to me!).

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
It's an old roadster with the biggest mirror I've ever seen on a bike.

dav1d

Even though it's a "crap" bike, I still think you should lock it up good. I was happy that my carbolite looked so crap nobody would nick it. But a valve cap has gone and four spokes broken whilst it was chained up! So someobody has probably tried to nick it or the quick release wheel (it has a built in lock like the bikes in Amsterdam except more discreet). I was also in Wythenshawe once when some chavs shouted "Get the bike!" and came after me, so although chavs won't like the bike, it won't stop them stealing it.:laugh:

longers

Legendary Member
I think it might turn out to be a good spend of £41.76.
Definitely lock it up, and with a good lock too.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
That looks great !! I reckon you've got yourself a bargain there.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i picked up a Hercules commuter from our local tip a couple of weeks ago once the ice and snow have gone and its had a check over it will be used for going back and forward to work on , so have some fun and use it

woofer

Über Member
I pulled a Giant Rock SE out of a skip last year. Quick clean and oil now used as hack to chain to railings in town

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

threebikesmcginty said:
It's an old roadster with the biggest mirror I've ever seen on a bike.

A roadster, eh?

Well, the mirror is staying, I think it adds to the "uncoolness" of the bike and it seems actually very useful!

dav1d said:
although chavs won't like the bike, it won't stop them stealing it.:tongue:

That does worry me a little - the chavs may deliberately target it for vandalism because it is crap! Mind you, I live in a local yokel town rather than a city and our chavs are somewhat "amateur" when it comes to being completely antisocial pains in the arse.

chap

Veteran
XmisterIS said:
He he!

I wanted a crap, cheap bike to ride to the gym on and to town and back on, because I am not going to take a £1000 full-carbon road bike all of two miles into town and leave it chained to a lamp-post!

Anyway, I am now £41.76 poorer and the proud owner of the completely sh*t contraption that is attached to this post! The seller lives local so I will pop round and sling it in the back of the car (filthy beast) in due course.

It is a three-speed (sturmey-archer) and is a bit rusty round the edges. Apparently it is "ready to ride", so I bid on it. I have no idea what the frame size is; it looks about 18" or 20", which is fine.

The good thing is that it will never ever get nicked, because no bugger would be seen dead on it! I should think that if I chained it to a chav, he would pay me to take it away.

Even if the wheels and other bits are shot to buggery, hopefully the steel frame is a good 'un and can be rebuilt on, should I wish to do so.

Does anyone have any idea what it actually is?! (Anything that is not made of carbon fibre or aero-grade aluminium or titanium is a mystery to me!).

The only thing I would change would be the mirror. Then again, I prefer well constructed usable machines, such as what the said bike appears to be.

To me, a £1000 carbon road bike would be dismissed as a pile of disposable crap, and if I won one (for free of course) I would instantly sell it for spare cash and something of quality, such as a Pashley Roadster Sovereign, a Brompton, or a Pashley Guv'nor Plus 4.

Luke Bream

looks like a bargain. An ex girlfriend of mine spray painted a brand new bike in London to make it looked suitably old and distressed so it didnt get nicked !!

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Luke Bream said:
looks like a bargain. An ex girlfriend of mine spray painted a brand new bike in London to make it looked suitably old and distressed so it didnt get nicked !!

That's a good idea and one that will fool 99% of chavs and thieves. I was thinking of doing the same with my mountain bike! The trouble is that the more observant thieves would see an old-looking bike, which, on closer inspection has an LX/XT groupset, XT cranks, mavic ceramic rims, XT hubs, and decent Manitou shocks. Then they'd put two and two together ... and nick it. :sad:

Top Bottom