I love Cycling because...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Yep!

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
gaz said:
I eat over 3,000 Calories a day, i burn around 1,500 Calories on my commute (not each way).

I did once do a ride which must have burnt about 8000 calories :biggrin:...few large pork pies for lunch soon sorted that out!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
thomas said:
I did once do a ride which must have burnt about 8000 calories :biggrin:...few large pork pies for lunch soon sorted that out!

i would have to be eating a big mac as i go along to do that. Even after 14 miles i'm craving for some juicy bacon *drools* :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Drinking liquid carbs may help you keep going but it doesn't stop you feeling hungry!

lady_rider

Bejeez... how far do you commute?! On a one-hour sprint session I burn 600, on a three-hour more chilled out ride about 1400. Three hours mountain biking about 2000. Depends on how much you weigh though I guess; I'm just over 9st. That's according to my HRM which takes weight into account in the calcs. Then again, maybe I'm just, y'know, way fitter than you so my heart is beating much slower... ;-D

colinr

Bah, by that I only kill about 300 kcal on my commute. That doesn't really let me eat anything extra :wacko:

HelenD123

Guru
2856 calories for my ride yesterday:biggrin:. Hopefully I didn't completely wipe out the good work when I stuffed my face when I got home...

Davidc

Guru
I just love cycling. The feeling of going along by my own effort, the buzz from the exercise, being out in the open, just love it!

That calculator says just over 600 kcal for my todays ride. My usual calulation, which accounts for hills age and distance says about 500 kcal.

It's never very accurate though. You'd need to work out how much energy is needed to push you + bike round the route, including air resistance, friction, tyre losses, braking losses, etc. etc. and the efficiency of your individual body.

To do it properly you'd have (I think) to measure CO2 breathed out on the ride, work out how much glucose that represents, deduct what you'd have breathed out resting, and work it out from there. Mind - carting the kit round to do that would burn a bit extra!

In the past I've lost weight at a rate of about a stone a week when touring and averaging about 80 miles a day, on a 6000 kcal a day diet.

Top Bottom