I love cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badger

I've been cycling for just over a year now, and put about 2400 miles in on one of these:

http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/07/ce/urban/adventure/model-7AR2.html

The only change I have made is slick tyres and a 12-26 cassette. This will remain my commuting rig, since I have fitted a rack and mudguards to it.

I now want to venture into the realm of the road bike, to celebrate the lighter evenings, pleasant weather and losing 3 stone in weight.

I think I'd like a bike suitable for comfort over long distances, not an out and out racer.

So what road bike do you recommend?

Budget = £2000 or less!

BTW I'm a big bloke - weigh 18.5 stone and 6'4'' tall.

Bigtallfatbloke

I will recommend the only bike I feel qualified to comment on...the one I ride.

It's a Daws Galaxy 2007 tourer. I am 6'4" tall and when i started riding this thing I weighed 21 stone. I now weigh in at around 16 stone after last years rides on this bike.

It is solid, comfy (see mods below) and although not as fast as a real road race bike is still capable of 36mph (well thats my top speed on it so far). It carries a four pannier camping load plus a tent and a bar bag with ease...plus my bulk.

I bought this new for £650 and the bike came with a selle italia gel saddle and alloy pedals with toe straps. The saddle had to go asap as it was crippling me....i replaced it with a brooks B 17 champion. the pedals were to narrow for my feet and I got numb feet as a result, so i replaced them with shimano double sided spds. The only other modification I have made is the addition of front blackburn low rider racks....oh yes...I just replaced the tyres as well simply because I wanted narrower tyres.

It's a great tourer, designed for comfort and heavy loads, looks cool imho and I can still catch and pass the odd roadie on a good day!

Tynan

Veteran
£2k is a huge budget

audax type bikes for roadie comfort

you could get something custom built

other than that I leave to the more experienced posters, £2k will get them salivating

Tynan

Veteran
my old ruined bike was the Adventure something, level top bar though

lovely bike for a commuter

sniff

Stwutter

Get down to your local bike shop (not Evans, Halfrauds etc...!).

Explain what you want - I guess a sportive style bike, which has easier geometry than and out-and-out racer, and is designed to be comfortable over longer distance, but still looks the business.

If you spend the full 2K, try and get it evened out - a grand on the frame, 500 each on wheels and groupset, or similar - the LBS will help with this. If you end up in Evans, you'll get whatever they have on the shelf - and probably end up with rubbish wheels on a 1500 frame (or vice-versa, depending on what dip-stick serves you).

LBS LBS LBS!

Mortiroloboy

With that kind of top end budget, the world is your oyster so to speak! Get down to your LBS and have a look at what they 've got. See which bikes particularly catch your eye, then take them for a test ride to see how they feel, also consider www.bikefitting.com as an option, locate a shop that offers this service, the £35 it costs will be offset as it is refundable against a purchase made at the shop which does the fitting, they will point you in the direction of the bike manufacturer which has the most suitable geometry for you, all manufacturers geometry differs slightly, they will then make adjustments, such as swapping stems, cranks to get a near as perfect (outside of bespoke) fit as is possible.

Alternatively, with that kind of money there are suppliers who will build you a made to measure frame, do some googling, and prepare to have some great fun choosing!

Mortiroloboy

Stwutter said:
Get down to your local bike shop (not Evans, Halfrauds etc...!).

Explain what you want - I guess a sportive style bike, which has easier geometry than and out-and-out racer, and is designed to be comfortable over longer distance, but still looks the business.

If you spend the full 2K, try and get it evened out - a grand on the frame, 500 each on wheels and groupset, or similar - the LBS will help with this. If you end up in Evans, you'll get whatever they have on the shelf - and probably end up with rubbish wheels on a 1500 frame (or vice-versa, depending on what dip-stick serves you).

LBS LBS LBS!

Not a fan of Evans of Halfords then ?;)tee hee

OP
OP
B

Badger

Thanks for the ideas everyone - some good advice!

Mortiroloboy - I have a bike fitting shop nearby, so I'll book myself into that to get an idea what frames will suit me.

I've had a chat with one LBS - they build frames from Reynolds 853 steel - not sure how light these would be compared to titanium or carbon though.

Stwutter - good idea about evening out the cost - I was thinking about spending the equivalent of 1k on the frame. Hoping it will be a bike for life!

Top Bottom