I love Eurovision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...what a great evenings entertainment...we always make an evening of it and tonight is no exception. Nul point is the target, anything more and we'll be disappointed!:ohmy:

Keith Oates

Janner
It's one of the things I've never missed since leaving the UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Last night we had a Polish friend over, wife is German and I am English...all three of our countries came joint last!!

terry huckle

I`ve just acquired an Argentinian daughter in law. This was a complete revelation to her and she sat aghast at the sheer dreadfulness of the whole thing last night. She made all kinds of remarks about Europe, but I had the last laugh when I pointed out that the "singer" representing Spain was, according to The Sunday Times, Argentinian.

I would have watched it, but I had an evening lancing the dog's boils planned.

The Postman Always Rings Twice, but The Dustman Always Comes Last.

I saw a bit earlier today - total dog's boil. That Russian lot, those Bosnian Hurtstolistentothems, those Spanish Wallies...:biggrin:

RT - you must have had some insider info to book such a good night...

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was in the Hotel space continental in Belgrade (used to be the Hotel Intercontinental until they lost the franchise) at the same time as the contestants last week. I was expecting a lot of noise but it was okay - apparently the lobby was hopping at 5 am when they all came back from the Saba Centre next door but by the time I went down for breakfast at 6 most of the doors had DND notices on them. I slept well both nights.

Canrider

Guru
As usual, I ended the evening mostly just tired and bored of Terry Wogan. I know he's an institution for you all, but I'd like Britain to win one just so he's contractually obligated to make fun of the British presenters' English!

(or alternatively we could listen to his attempts at conversing in Serbo-Croatian)

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I know we are not supposed to take it seriously, but .... does the excessive amount of clearly nationalist voting irritate anybody else? It's a forgone conclusion that Germany will vote for Turkey regardless of the quality of the song due to the large number of Turks resident here. Voting for your 'home' country seems to be endemic in other parts of central Europe as well.

Still, at least one consolation - the French entry was at last sung in a civilised tongue. ;)

yello

Unkraut said:
I know we are not supposed to take it seriously, but .... does the excessive amount of clearly nationalist voting irritate anybody else?

I don't know how voting is done on Eurovision but is it possible that similar cultures will vote for each other precisely because the other's song is more familiar and so preferable? I mean, for instance, a lot of Eurovision stuff sounds like what I'd call a generic 'euro disco' to me and does nothing for me. Whilst I didn't particularly like the UK entry, it certainly was more familiar territory for me and accessible.

Still, at least one consolation - the French entry was at last sung in a civilised tongue. :biggrin:

And didn't it cause some outrage here! The singer claimed he wanted to convey his message to as many people as possible therefore English was necessary. I think he only narrowly avoided the guillotine :thumbsup:

I'm not a Wogan fan myself either. I find him just a little to smugly superior. I know this is his humour but it still irks me.

Top Bottom