I love it when that happens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Riding to work, there's one road that has a bit of a "wind tunnel" effect - great if it's blowing the right way, not so great if you've got a cold coming on, you're tired at the end of a long week and the wind is the wrong way.

There's a cycle lane on this ring road that actively encourages close passes notably by buses

The double decker that passed me moved right over to the other lane, then continued on at about 24mph - just right not to go disappearing off, and provide me with a nice effortless tow all the way

Only a little thing but it cheered me up this morning

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Damn...I shouldn't say these things

Coming back the same way I was clipped by a maniac - driving a battered old luton type van with extended body and even more extended mirrors, clipped on the shoulder, then he pulled out to overtake a bus veering so violently I thought it was going to tip over!

Didn't get the reg, then I was too shocked to get the reg of the silver coach 30 seconds later that shot by about 15" away

Both caused by piss-poor driving of course but encouraged by the cycle lane with the "magic white lines of safety" that mean no room is needed to pass because after all we're in separate lanes :angry:

Damn...I shouldn't say these things

Coming back the same way I was clipped by a maniac - driving a battered old luton type van with extended body and even more extended mirrors, clipped on the shoulder, then he pulled out to overtake a bus veering so violently I thought it was going to tip over!

Didn't get the reg, then I was too shocked to get the reg of the silver coach 30 seconds later that shot by about 15" away

Both caused by piss-poor driving of course but encouraged by the cycle lane with the "magic white lines of safety" that mean no room is needed to pass because after all we're in separate lanes :angry:

Which is why I have often said that in a lot of areas that no bike lane/cycle path would be better than a poorly designed bike lane/cycle path. As well as the fact that a bike lane/cycle path provide cyclists with a false sense of security. Because as you noted they'll think that because they're in the bike lane/cycle path they're "safe."

All we have to do is ask the family of Christophe Le Cann how safe he was in the bike lane/cycle path. He was struck and killed by a "man" whose blood alcohol content was well over the legal limit. He also had an extensive record for running/jumping red lights, driving without a license, without insurance, as well as speeding. He was also talking on his cell phone arguing with his girlfriend. The irony, is that apparently he is/was also married at the time.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
The one 'I love it when that happens' for me is when you're in primary, approaching a pedestrian island and you get some knob jockey trying to overtake the vehicle behind you. You hear the squeal of brakes as he suddenly realises he's nowhere to go and ends up stuck in the middle of the road, waiting for some non-existant kind soul to let him back into the normal flow of traffic.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
When you finally get around to emptying the dishwasher and find its already empty but no one has switched the light off...I love that.

sorry does it have to be about commuting?

(If so, I love it when i wake up and dread the ride in...only to complete it and find tht it was one of the best rides ever.)

Top Bottom