I need some bike advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lorraine

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum tonight. I need some advice. I am a runner really, not a cyclist, only recreational riding on my mountain bike a few times a year. However, life has all changed. 2 months ago my mum died of pancreatic cancer and I have just signed up to do the London to Paris charity ride.........311 miles on a bike is a long way for me! I've been to a number of bike shops and everyone recommends a road bike with racing handle bars not straight, and carbon as opposed to alluminium. I am currently looking at 'Specialized' and 'Bianchi'. I would appreciate any feedback and/or comments/recommendations. The ride is in June so I need to get training asap, I live in Gerrards Cross so would love the opportunity to join any rides.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Both are good and well respected brands; do you have any models in mind? Comfort and getting the correct size are very important factors when is comes to how much you enjoyment you'll get out of riding, so it's important to get the sizing right.

Speaking to staff in a local bike shop is an excellent way to get started, hopefully someone can recommend a good one in your area.

BSRU

A Human Being
311 miles would be alot for me too, if I had a choice of which bike to use I would go for a steel tourer with a decent saddle, I wouldn't be worried about speed just comfort.

WorcesteRob

Über Member
311 miles would be alot for me too, if I had a choice of which bike to use I would go for a steel tourer with a decent saddle, I wouldn't be worried about speed just comfort.

I agree with the above, if a charity event go for comfort not speed and something that you will use regulary in the future. A good hybrid with the slightly wider tyres gives you a softer ride and can be a good progression into drop bars in the future.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Test ride them: the "best" bike is the one you're most comfortable on if you are intending to ride long distance. Other than that, your budget will be the biggest factor.

Dropped bars will give you a variety of hand positions: over distance your hands and wrists will get tired and sore stuck in one position (as with straight bars).

You will also be able to adopt a lower, more aerodynamic position. I forget the exact numbers but because of wind resistance, to go (for example) twice as fast requires something like four times the power. This will make a big difference over 300 miles.

Many long distance riders still ride steel framed bikes, because steel is springy and absorbs vibration. However, most modern bikes are made from either aluminium or carbon fibre: aluminium is considered more rigid and a harsher ride, but cheaper than carbon fibre. An aluminium frame with carbon fibre forks can be an economical compromise.

Most of the benefits and disadvantages of the different materials are down to the skill of the frame builder: both good and bad examples can be found in all of the materials.

I would think that you will get a bit more for your money with a Specialized: it's not that Bianchi aren't good bikes (they are), it's just that there is a premium attached to the name like with Apple or Sony.

The other choice you will have to make is between a "double", "compact" or "triple" chainset (second paragraph). Running and cycling use different muscles so although I assume you are quite fit, as an inexperienced cyclist and bearing in mind that you intend to ride long distance, I would lean towards a triple or compact.

I recommend this book for a wealth of useful information and training programmes, all written in an easily comprehensible and not overly technical style. If you can get a copy before buying your bike, you might find the decision a little easier.

gds58

Über Member
Jimmy (the whiskers) is absolutely right in what he's saying and this is good advice. I recently had a test ride on a full carbon bike (which I subsequently agreed to purchase) having been used to riding an aluminium frame with carbon forks. The difference in ride comfort and quality was astonishing. The carbon bike absorbed so much more of the harshness from uneven road surfaces and therefore made the ride feel so much easier and more pleasurable. There is the added bonus that carbon is likely to be a little bit lighter than other materials but it will almost always be more expensive.

I have heard some very good reports on the 'Boardman' range of carbon bikes. Whilst I haven't ridden one I have had a good close look at them and they do seem very well built and they have a good level of equipment on them at a very reasonable price. For around £1400 you will get a very nice full carbon one with FSA and SRAM groupset components which will be ideal for your needs.

Hope this might help a little, and good luck with your ride. Graham

It's interesting that some people are suggesting that the 'minimum requirement' for such an event is an aluminium or carbon frame. It really shows that they don't know much about the subject. Bike shops will recommend what they sell, and few shops sell decent steel frames because few mainstream companies make them these days. And that's because the bike industry is led 'by the nose' by the high-performance end of the market. Steel just isn't trendy.

What I would suggest you need is a Light Tourer/ Audax/ Randonneur bike. Something with almost all of the performance of a top-end road bike but more practical. With a more comfortable riding position, more realistic gearing, clearance for larger tyres and mudguards and the capacity to fit a pannier rack.

Pay particular attention to your position on the bike. It's worth doing a bit of research on the specific requirements of women re: bike sizing and fitting. Lots of shops are still getting it wrong.

Look at Condor Cycles range of bikes for some inspiration.

And these might be useful...

The Fundamentals of Fit - article on Cyclorama

Cycling for Women - article on Cyclorama

Sorry about your Ma.

gds58

Über Member
Hi again Lorraine,

I forgot to ask in my previous post, but if you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? or more importantly, what is your leg measurement (sorry for getting personal!!) as there may well be somebody on here who is selling a bike that would be suitable for you. Another forum worth a look at is 'Bike Radar' which can be found here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/index.php?sid=241357c186217dea10ea42f335b59176 where there are always a huge number of bikes for sale.
Graham

Pottsy

I'm more of a runner than a cyclist as well. I think we convert to cycling a lot better than the other way around. I can manage long rides touring at a leisurely pace (80-100 miles per day) mainly just using my running fitness so I think you'll be fine.
My tips are:
1. Get a bike that fits you well and that you'll be comfortable on. As mentioned above, it doesn't have to be super racy.
2. Just get some hours in on the bike. It'll be your nether regions, wrists, neck, shoulders etc. that hurt - running doesn't effect these in the same way, it's only hours in the saddle that helps them adapt.
3. Eat lots on long rides - unlike running you can do it comparatively easily as you're going.
4. Smile as you ride - cycling is fun ^_^

Over the years I have fitted out quite a few ladies to bikes. What is your budget? Nearly all the ladies I know ride men's bikes, much bigger choice just make sure you get a ladies saddle. Mickle is correct about comfort and mudguards. If you can afford it I would look at titanium, this is the kind of bike I would recommend:
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b17s21p2573&rs=gb&vid=7957
and here is the bike tested against the Van Nicholas:
http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Magazine/201103054.pdf
Other than what others have said, I believe it is very important get someone experienced to help you and go with you when looking at bikes. It's a big purchase and worth taking your time and getting it right. I wish you all the best.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
It's interesting that some people are suggesting that the 'minimum requirement' for such an event is an aluminium or carbon frame. It really shows that they don't know much about the subject. Bike shops will recommend what they sell, and few shops sell decent steel frames because few mainstream companies make them these days. And that's because the bike industry is led 'by the nose' by the high-performance end of the market. Steel just isn't trendy.
I couldn't agree more (like it says under my name) but I was trying to give a balanced opinion, without being too subjective, on what the OP had written.

EYE-TYE-MAD

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum tonight. I need some advice. I am a runner really, not a cyclist, only recreational riding on my mountain bike a few times a year. However, life has all changed. 2 months ago my mum died of pancreatic cancer and I have just signed up to do the London to Paris charity ride.........311 miles on a bike is a long way for me! I've been to a number of bike shops and everyone recommends a road bike with racing handle bars not straight, and carbon as opposed to alluminium. I am currently looking at 'Specialized' and 'Bianchi'. I would appreciate any feedback and/or comments/recommendations. The ride is in June so I need to get training asap, I live in Gerrards Cross so would love the opportunity to join any rides.
To be honest I think that you will be hard pressed to find a better bike for the job that either of Bianchi's lady specific frames, the Via Nirone Dama, or if the budget can stretch a bit further, the Bianchi Infinito Dama. However, the most crucial factor when choosing a bike isn't necessarily the make but the fit. Make sure you seek reputable advice on fit & size, preferably from a club rider. 311 miles on an ill fitting machine can be a hell of a long way!

snorri

Legendary Member
Don't allow yourself to be persuaded by those who claim 300 miles is a long way on a bike and who say you will need a top of the range hi tech bike. You are already a cyclist and a runner, so have the basic fitness, you are more than half way there already!:smile:

martint235

Dog on a bike
I think there's a couple of things here:

1. The most important aspect is the fit of the bike rather than the material. As ETM says 311 miles will seem an awful lot further if the bike doesn't fit properly. If you're only thinking of doing the one long distance ride then I don't think the frame material will matter much so long as it fits.
2. If you're going to do several long rides then I'm firmly in the titanium group having just purchased a Ti bike specifically for long distance riding. And it is incredibly comfortable compared to the carbon bike I have. I've not ridden a steel bike for decades but as you can tell from comments above, it has a reputation for comfort over long distances too.

Top Bottom