I pity the children...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silverbow

I picked up SB jnr from school today and bumped into a mother I hadn't seen for a while. She was amazed I was taking SB Jnr to school and back on a bike. "How far is it?" she ask. "2 miles . . . . each way" I replied. She looked horrifed!;) "2 miles, gosh you must be getting really fit". I didn't have the heart to tell her I then cycled home changed bike and went off to the office; And that 2 miles was not actually that far.

This is not an unusual response, most of the parents think we are really radical. I just pity the children, what chance to they have.

mr Mag00

rising member
none

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
silverbow said:
I picked up SB jnr from school today and bumped into a mother I hadn't seen for a while. She was amazed I was taking SB Jnr to school and back on a bike. "How far is it?" she ask. "2 miles . . . . each way" I replied. She looked horrifed!;) "2 miles, gosh you must be getting really fit". I didn't have the heart to tell her I then cycled home changed bike and went off to the office; And that 2 miles was not actually that far.

This is not an unusual response, most of the parents think we are really radical. I just pity the children, what chance to they have.

Every chance.

My parents were heavy smokers (mum died) and dad still is (idiot), as well as regular drinkers. As kids we used to earn pocket money cleaning and washing up etc. Worst bit was cleaning ashtrays.

Also, kids at school smoked behind the fire escape near the bus park (Thirsk School) and their clothes were burnt from fag burns and they stank, which just reinforced my hatred of smoking.

Neither of my parents did ANY physical exercise, and I have never in memory seen either of them on a bike, let alone break into a jog.

I drink, albeit seldom, and have NEVER smoked. I now ride 2000+ miles a year. So although fitness-wise, I wasn't in the best environment I could have been to nurture my physical development, I haven't turned out as a lost cause.

I suppose I have 'rebelled' against their smoking/pub lifestyle by being into adventure and exercise???

humptygocart

The roads are clogged with people queueing to get to the gym and sit on exercise bikes.

Parents drive their obese, car-reliant slugs to school rather than let them cycle because "there are too many cars".

The Argos catalogue shows every child on a bike wearing a helmet but the kids in those little electric cars go helmetless.

Radio and TV personalities joke about using their vehicle as a weapon to bully cyclists, or joke about shooting cyclists, or joke about stringing up wire to hurt cyclists.

Half of all urban car journeys are less than two miles long.

The worst of us are held up as typical behaviour of all of us, I've been shouted at by drivers to get off the road and cycle on the pavement, then when I tell someone I cycle they say "I hate cyclists, you all cycle on pavements!".

atbman

Veteran
I was in a building in Toronto once, quite a few floors up. There was a gym with glass walls on the corridor. There were people on stepper machines.

One of my favorite photo's ...

gymescalators.jpg

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I'm sure I've told this story here before... got into an argument with a woman at work, she'd come in late and was b****ing about "bl**dy traffic, I was stuck in a jam for 20 minutes" etc etc etc.

So me being curious and thinking she must drive a long way I ask her where she's come from. It turned out literally a mile. She could have walked that in the same time and I told her this.

My god did she go nuts. "I cant walk in to work, its all right for you young ones [I was 28 at the time.. not that young], what if I get attacked, what if.. what if.."

I asked her if she locked her car doors when she drove. Answer no. If she's that scared why is she driving an unlocked car? Get off your arse and stop wasting other road users time by clogging the roads is my beleif.

purplepolly

silverbow said:
"How far is it?" she ask. "2 miles . . . . each way" I replied. She looked horrifed!:biggrin: "2 miles, gosh you must be getting really fit".

:biggrin:

mind you my commute is 3.3 miles by the shortest route and most non cyclists thiink that's a long way

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
LOL! My son's headmistress dropped her jaw on the ground when she realised we came in on bike+trailer bike once or twice a week last winter. Only 6 miles.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
BentMikey said:
LOL! My son's headmistress dropped her jaw on the ground when she realised we came in on bike+trailer bike once or twice a week last winter. Only 6 miles.

The question being, is her jaw hitting the floor because of the cycling being used as a transport medium, the 'safety' aspect, or the dawning realisation we don't NEED cars?

PBancroft

downfader said:
So me being curious and thinking she must drive a long way I ask her where she's come from. It turned out literally a mile. She could have walked that in the same time and I told her this.

Yep.

On my commute (a mile or so away from work) I tend to pass a driveway about the same time as a car is reversing out of it. Naturally they overtake me up the hill.

A few minutes later I pass them as they sit in traffic. After that I park my bike at the office, wander in and have a shower, then make myself a cup of tea, sit down and read my emails.

After that, the driver of the aforementioned car arrives at the very same office. "Nice drive in?" I ask.

"Bit busy this morning" they say.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Kaipaith said:
Yep.

On my commute (a mile or so away from work) I tend to pass a driveway about the same time as a car is reversing out of it. Naturally they overtake me up the hill.

A few minutes later I pass them as they sit in traffic. After that I park my bike at the office, wander in and have a shower, then make myself a cup of tea, sit down and read my emails.

After that, the driver of the aforementioned car arrives at the very same office. "Nice drive in?" I ask.

"Bit busy this morning" they say.

No?

YHGTBKM

(you have got to be kidding me?)

PBancroft

ComedyPilot said:
No?

YHGTBKM

(you have got to be kidding me?)

Maybe a bit more than a mile... I might have exaggerated. Hang on, let me check Google Maps...

OK, actually I did them a disservice. It's 2.3 miles. I still wouldn't really call that "drive-worthy" especially considering the parking costs in Winchester (all day in the car park closest to the office is £7. Alternatively Park and Ride - which is the OTHER SIDE OF TOWN - is £2.50)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Kaipaith said:
Maybe a bit more than a mile... I might have exaggerated. Hang on, let me check Google Maps...

OK, actually I did them a disservice. It's 2.3 miles. I still wouldn't really call that "drive-worthy" especially considering the parking costs in Winchester (all day in the car park closest to the office is £7. Alternatively Park and Ride - which is the OTHER SIDE OF TOWN - is £2.50)

went to Winchester last week on sunday to climb the hill. :biggrin: St Catherines is it? Did it on foot obviously. Then had a mooch about in the shops with me Bro and his mate. Saw a guy with a fixie and said how cool they must be to ride around somewhere like that.

Winchester seems a little smaller than Southampton, and I feel here is quite ideal for cycling tbh

sticky sherbert

At a recent family wedding two of my relations where suprised to see me drinking, another didn't think I would be eating meat as I am now considered to be a "Fitness Freak" because I cycle into work 3 days a week.

Top Bottom