I think there's enough material for Robert Jenrick to deserve his own thread...

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
I would start a thread about Rovert Jenrick, but I'm a Tory party donor and hes taking me out to dinner tomorrow :whistle:

stowie

Legendary Member
I would start a thread about Rovert Jenrick, but I'm a Tory party donor and hes taking me out to dinner tomorrow :whistle:
I'm about to put in plans for a loft conversion to the local council. Could you have a word with Jenrick about them?

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
Dont worry, he says he'll rush it through before you're £30,000,000 planning fees fall due. Just this afternoon he signed off an annexe at Corbyn's house so he can move Diane Abbott in.

Duffy

iIn all seriousness you could word the headline as ‘Dodgy/corrupt Tory does illegal deal with dodgy/corrupt Billionaire’ why does he have to be identified as from Israel??????

If he was from Birmingham would we be putting Brummie into the headline?

I realise that the fact our politicians are deep in the pockets of ‘Johnny Foreigner’ adds to the impact of it when your average Daily Heil reader sees the article, however......

😊

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Hang on a mo. One of the many arguments put forward on Thursday was that sacking Long-Bailey would remove the pressure on Jenrick. You mean that wasn't the case? Hoodathortit.

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Not by me,I think you'll find I said Starmer would be better calling for his resignation.
It wasn't a personal comment, just a general one.

As for whether Starmer should be calling for resignations, Stephen Bush in the New Statesman has made a convincing case that it wouldn't be a smart move. Yes, it would mollify a handful of very vocal activists. But at a time when there is growing Tory backbench disgust with Jenrick, Starmer's speaking out against him would simply rally the Tory troops behind him because it would make it a party political cause rather than a moral cause. Referring Jenrick to the independent commissioner for standards - again, playing with a dead-straight bat and asking someone independent to adjudicate - is also smart. Add it to the very swift action against Long-Bailey and it adds to the narrative of Labour as a party of its word which can be trusted to do the right thing.

Duffy

I thinks it’s called ‘credibility’ something perceived as long absent from the Labour Party

It wasn't a personal comment, just a general one.

As for whether Starmer should be calling for resignations, Stephen Bush in the New Statesman has made a convincing case that it wouldn't be a smart move. Yes, it would mollify a handful of very vocal activists. But at a time when there is growing Tory backbench disgust with Jenrick, Starmer's speaking out against him would simply rally the Tory troops behind him because it would make it a party political cause rather than a moral cause. Referring Jenrick to the independent commissioner for standards - again, playing with a dead-straight bat and asking someone independent to adjudicate - is also smart. Add it to the very swift action against Long-Bailey and it adds to the narrative of Labour as a party of its word which can be trusted to do the right thing.

Top Bottom