I think Trump deserves his own thread ....

Rocky

Reprobate
Trump wont be going anywhere, and those who voted with the Dems to impeach him are going to face a shitstorm of a backlash in their own states, with primary challenges to fight before they even next stand for re-election. Most of those that didn't support Trump in the impeachment circus won't ever stand for public office again. They'll be gone either in 2022 or by 2024 at the latest.
Those hoping to rid the GOP of Trump have conveniently forgotten that if he hadn't been the Republican candidate in 2016, Hillary would have won the presidency. Love him or loathe him, Trump can energise and motivate millions of voters that other politicians can't reach.
Trump will be going to jail.....the impeachment was a side-show, anyone who knows anything about US politics knows he's about to get hit with a range of criminal cases, together with many of his family. Trump will not be standing for president in 2024. He'll be behind bars (or dead). The millions who supposedly were energised by him are beginning to see that he was only interested in creaming off the fat of the state for himself. He even let down his mates, the Proud Boys, telling them he'd join them at the Capitol Building and then running away in the opposite direction.

All uphill

I didn't recognise you but I knew your bike
Trump will be going to jail.....the impeachment was a side-show, anyone who knows anything about US politics knows he's about to get hit with a range of criminal cases, together with many of his family. Trump will not be standing for president in 2024. He'll be behind bars (or dead). The millions who supposedly were energised by him are beginning to see that he was only interested in creaming off the fat of the state for himself. He even let down his mates, the Proud Boys, telling them he'd join them at the Capitol Building and then running away in the opposite direction.
I'd love to believe this, (that he will be in jail), but does that really happen to people like him in the USA? I'm not betting on it.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Trump wont be going anywhere, and those who voted with the Dems to impeach him are going to face a shitstorm of a backlash in their own states, with primary challenges to fight before they even next stand for re-election. Most of those that didn't support Trump in the impeachment circus won't ever stand for public office again. They'll be gone either in 2022 or by 2024 at the latest.
Those hoping to rid the GOP of Trump have conveniently forgotten that if he hadn't been the Republican candidate in 2016, Hillary would have won the presidency. Love him or loathe him, Trump can energise and motivate millions of voters that other politicians can't reach.
That is just proof that the millions of people motivated by Trump are quite simply uneducated moronic brain dead imbeciles.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I'd expect nothing less from you. And I put you in the category of people previously mentioned.
:laugh::laugh: I was joking. I have politically active American relatives who have worked on the Million Mom March and the Obama campaigns and they've told me they're embarassed to call themselves American. At the last reunion, they told people they were Canadian.

Mind you, we heard the same thing when Reagan was elected, something that was met with slack-jawed amazement by many over here.

MntnMan62

Über Member
:laugh::laugh: I was joking. I have politically active American relatives who have worked on the Million Mom March and the Obama campaigns and they've told me they're embarassed to call themselves American. At the last reunion, they told people they were Canadian.

Mind you, we heard the same thing when Reagan was elected, something that was met with slack-jawed amazement by many over here.
Sorry about that. My apologies. Here's the thing though. I am not embarrassed to be an American because those people who support him are not me and don't represent me. And if those who don't support Trump feel embarrassed by those other people, and worse start to consider leaving, then the Trump supporters have won. As long as there are clear majority of people who are willing to vote for sanity rather than whatever it is that Trump embodies then I'll fight like hell to put those people in their place. The day you give up the fight is the day you've lost. And feeling embarrassed to call yourself an American is essentially throwing your hands up and admitting defeat. I won't do it.

Dave Davenport

Legendary Member
Sadly, I think that's vanishingly unlikely.

ebikeerwidnes

Über Member
" points about trump going to prison

a) he will have lawyers who will tie the whole thing up in paper for years - and do everything they can to keep him in the public eye

b) even if he is convicted of a criminal offence - how can he go to prison - he is entitled to secret service protection for life
Ok maybe this would cease if he is convicted but it won't be - the concept of an ex-president being killed by 'Big Dave from Corridor 3' is just unacceptable
the worse they could do would be a sort of house arrest somewhere out of the way
maybe his kids would visit him - maybe his wife as well - depends on how the will works

Let's be honest, his lawyers at the impeachment trial could have stood up, said "fark off", sat back down and the Republican Party would still have acquited him.
They could but when history is taught in schools and law taught in universities the transcripts, the records would expose the rottenness had they not mounted a robust defence.
McConnell did his utmost to enter the history books with a justified damnation of Trump as inciter in chief. He must think people will not remember his total silence in the wake of the election.
I thought the Trump law team tried hard but failed to absolve Trump of incitement.
It means something to have your words taught as a valuable text.

mikeIow

Über Member
Trump is the past Master of avoiding failing with his litigation.....& of course his stoopid supporters funded $$$M after the election to "stop the steal", not realising that what that really did was help build Trump up a massive legal fund to drawn down on.

What I find comforting is that I cannot imagine ANY significant numbers of Biden-voters changing their vote to Republican....whereas I am sure there will be a fair few of the more centre-right Trump voters who will have seen the shocking attacks on the Capital and will realise they were being played for a fool.
This whole thing could see the GOP in the shadows for years to come. IMHO.....

MntnMan62

Über Member
Trump is the past Master of avoiding failing with his litigation.....& of course his stoopid supporters funded $$$M after the election to "stop the steal", not realising that what that really did was help build Trump up a massive legal fund to drawn down on.

What I find comforting is that I cannot imagine ANY significant numbers of Biden-voters changing their vote to Republican....whereas I am sure there will be a fair few of the more centre-right Trump voters who will have seen the shocking attacks on the Capital and will realise they were being played for a fool.
This whole thing could see the GOP in the shadows for years to come. IMHO.....
Let's hope.

mikeIow

Über Member
Let's hope.
I *mostly* hope so too....although I also feel a good democracy *needs* a decent opposition.

I feel, vaccine-roll-out excepted, that our handling of the pandemic has been worsened greatly by decisions often made too late or telegraphed days ahead (who knew there would be a rush for the trains when travel restrictions were planned 4 days ahead, gosh!).....& that we are where we are today (with, IMHO, a shambolic government) precisely because the opposition was so appalling.
Still, we live and hope, eh!

Top Bottom