I think Trump deserves his own thread ....

yo vanilla

I think it's down to a few factors, his TV show, the fact he lives on Burgers and Coke and possibly that he is as racist and bigotted as they are.
What they fail to grasp is that he despises them as low class, witness his comments about theose 'supporters' who did his bidding at the Capitol building. Let's face it America ended up with the playground bully in charge.
It's large in part about creating an enemy. We can't be opposites, we must be enemies. Rewind 15 or so years ago, the Democrats were painting a picture of Bush (including the Republicans but moreso Bush) as, perhaps a little evil, but mostly inept. Not quite an enemy.... but close. The Trump era has been all about creating a threatening enemy. Trump's propaganda is really strong, simple, effective. Yes the R's in the 2000's were touting the threats to society by the D's, but it was mostly weaksauce arguments. Maybe because of the change in effectiveness is why they are all so willing to back Trump even today?

MntnMan62

Über Member
It's large in part about creating an enemy. We can't be opposites, we must be enemies. Rewind 15 or so years ago, the Democrats were painting a picture of Bush (including the Republicans but moreso Bush) as, perhaps a little evil, but mostly inept. Not quite an enemy.... but close. The Trump era has been all about creating a threatening enemy. Trump's propaganda is really strong, simple, effective. Yes the R's in the 2000's were touting the threats to society by the D's, but it was mostly weaksauce arguments. Maybe because of the change in effectiveness is why they are all so willing to back Trump even today?
Yet the arguments by Trump of how the Democrats are the evil enemy are just as "weaksauce" (I like that word. Kind of like milktoast) as their previous arguments but by 100 fold. The effectiveness of Trumps lies (lets call them what they really are) is more an indication of the lack of intelligence among the US population. Only a moron would support Trump after the past four years of his insanity.

ebikeerwidnes

Über Member
Of course - we have to remember that if he launches a new campaign he also launches a new fundraising drive

and the last one contained a clause where the money donated could basically be used for anything - unless it was for over $5000(I think) - so most donations can be used for whatever trump wants
new golf sticks for example - or a new dress for Melania???

and there will be no commitment needed for a few years yet

then if he pulls out and the GOP has no-one ready to replace him and hence fails really badly - then he can crow about how much they needed him and didn't support him properly

and, again, will he run - if he does he risks loosing again - and little donnie don't like loosing!!!

yo vanilla

Let's not confuse weaksauce with baseless. In the Obama era, Republicans and their arguments - being basically whiny crybanies - were weaksauce. Trumps arguments may be baseless, but certainly not weaksauce. Strong, simple, effective, total Nazi or Bolshevic type propaganda, total 180 from pre-Trump.

AuroraSaab

Über Member
Ah, sorry MM, I misunderstood your point. The US system has long been about who has the money and the backers to make a run and I've said before that it's depressing that candidates of the calibre of Biden and Trump were the best the country could offer the electorate. I think Trump's appeal is that he is perceived as a maverick, was inward looking, and many were/are tired of the political system and favour small government. With the country being very divided there was nowhere else for conservatives to place their vote.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Ah, sorry MM, I misunderstood your point. The US system has long been about who has the money and the backers to make a run and I've said before that it's depressing that candidates of the calibre of Biden and Trump were the best the country could offer the electorate. I think Trump's appeal is that he is perceived as a maverick, was inward looking, and many were/are tired of the political system and favour small government. With the country being very divided there was nowhere else for conservatives to place their vote.
You seem to get the idea. You're cleary correct that it takes a ton of money to run a successful campaign for president. And I have to honestly say I've been disappointed in every single candidate since I've been voting back in 1980. And you can count me among those who are tired of the same old same old in Washington. But what many people seem to lose sight of is that in order to effect change in Washington, it takes a person who is extremely capable. It takes someone who is a skilled manager and who can bring people together. Trump is none of those things. He's not capable. He's not a skilled manager nor a skilled businessman. He inherited his money. And he's divisive. He drives people apart, not together. So, I always saw him as the absolute wrong person for that job. When I see someone running who I feel confident in their abilities to take on change, they may get my vote. Until then, I'll continue to vote for the lesser of two evils.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep I can see that, Mexicans, Muslims and the Chinese are the enemy (despite his branded goods being made in China and him employing Hispanic/Muslim workers in his hotels/resorts)
Let us just hope one of the many court cases he's facing stick (we all know he is guilty but proving it is a different matter) and he gets to wear a jumpsuit in his favourite colour.

yo vanilla

I was thinking more that Democrats are the enemy...

MntnMan62

Über Member
I was thinking more that Democrats are the enemy...
Well, Trump certainly made that so for his followers. Yet most of them probably don't realize that he was a registered Democrat for years. He switched to the Republican party purely because he thought he could have the best showing as a Republican. That much he got right. But even with that, Trump has appealed to the poorly educated low IQ folks out there who don't have the mental capacity to realize that there is so much gray area. Not everything is black and white. So, is someone who believes in allowing women to choose to have an abortion during her first trimester, but abortions later on can only be done if there is a medical necessity mean that person is a Liberal? No. Liberals believe an abortion is totally the woman's decision and right to decide at any time during the pregnancy. What about people who believe that we need to do something about China, but tariffs and all out trade war is not the answer to that issue? Is that person conservative or liberal or, God forbid, moderate? Oh no. That ugly word. Moderate. Anyway, what Trump's presidency has shown me these past four years is that the entire Republican Party has basically sold their souls to the devil. To allow Trump to get away with what he did while holding office is unconscionable. And for that reason Republicans have lost my vote forever. I'll never vote Republican again. I've voted for several Republican candidates. No more.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Well, Trump certainly made that so for his followers. Yet most of them probably don't realize that he was a registered Democrat for years. He switched to the Republican party purely because he thought he could have the best showing as a Republican. That much he got right. But even with that, Trump has appealed to the poorly educated low IQ folks out there who don't have the mental capacity to realize that there is so much gray area. Not everything is black and white. So, is someone who believes in allowing women to choose to have an abortion during her first trimester, but abortions later on can only be done if there is a medical necessity mean that person is a Liberal? No. Liberals believe an abortion is totally the woman's decision and right to decide at any time during the pregnancy. What about people who believe that we need to do something about China, but tariffs and all out trade war is not the answer to that issue? Is that person conservative or liberal or, God forbid, moderate? Oh no. That ugly word. Moderate. Anyway, what Trump's presidency has shown me these past four years is that the entire Republican Party has basically sold their souls to the devil. To allow Trump to get away with what he did while holding office is unconscionable. And for that reason Republicans have lost my vote forever. I'll never vote Republican again. I've voted for several Republican candidates. No more.
This should make you smile...

Top Bottom