I think Trump deserves his own thread ....

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by jefmcg, 16 Jan 2018.

1. cisamcgu

cisamcgu Guru

At least at the moment, in the UK, if a politician came out with such a staggeringly racist statement, they would be vilified; however, I worry that the day will soon arrive that Boris Johnson can be able to say the same thing here, and not be immediately cast as a racist and flung out of his (soon to be) job.

Profpointy and C R like this.
  2. Mugshot

Mugshot Cracking a solo.

Calling people "piccaninnies" and referring to "watermelon smiles" to name just one example is pretty racist and he's about to become PM, I'd say the day you're worried about arrived quite a while ago.

LarryDuff, theclaud and Rusty Nails like this.
  3. cisamcgu

cisamcgu Guru

Perhaps you are right ... :sad:

4. Mugshot

Mugshot Cracking a solo.

I really wish I wasn't, unfortunately the increase in hate crime whether directed at race, religion or sexual orientation makes for grim reading. Language like that used by Trump and Johnson normalise it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48692863

Andy in Germany, perplexed and C R like this.
  5. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

6. stowie

stowie Guru

This is only going to get worse in the run-up to the next election. It seems clear they are going to try to cement their base by going "full on fascist".

That, and a bunch of other news about the shadier past of Trump has probably been lost whilst they have dropped the dead cat on the table.

To paraphrase the old work cliche : you don't have to be racist to vote for Trump - but it helps! And plenty are, and will.

7. Mugshot

Mugshot Cracking a solo.

8. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

Although I am outraged at Trump I feel nothing but contempt for those supporters and Republican politicians who facilitate his extremes by either openly backing his comments or using mealy-mouthed statements to avoid saying he used racist comments. I liken them to the Tory supporters who back that buffoon Johnson despite the evidence of what he has said in the past.
    Like in the UK the belief in one's party as the only answer seems to blind people to the faults of its leaders and party machinery.

9. gaijintendo

gaijintendo Über Member

At about 1min42 KAC says, "He's tired, he's weak" and kills that last word. She looks like she's barely awake herself. What a job.

Mugshot likes this.
  10. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

There's more than a few people suggesting that this isn't just casual racism, it's very deliberate and strategic and we're going to see a lot more of these targeted attacks as the election approaches. Trump has no record to run on, he has no significant plans to reveal, he can't unite anyone, so it's all about scapegoating and division.

11. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

....all the traits of facist dictators...oh, and non-facist ones as well ;-)

Flying_Monkey likes this.
  12. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

Imagine having to defend Trump every day it must grind you down. I hope she’s being well remunerated with 30 pieces of silver.

13. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

14. Mugshot

Mugshot Cracking a solo.

US House condemns Trump attacks on congresswomen as racist
    (BBC link)

An opinion poll in the wake of his tweets suggested support for Mr Trump rose among Republicans by 5%, although dipped among Democrats and independent voters.

I suppose, since three of the women concerned were born in the US he is right in some respects;

In a series of tweets on Sunday, the president said Representatives Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley and Rashida Tlaib "originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe".

15. Mugshot

Mugshot Cracking a solo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice