I think Trump deserves his own thread ....

Flying_Monkey

Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere
THE NEW COLOSSUS

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
MOTHER OF EXILES. From her beacon-hand
Glows WORLD-WIDE WELCOME; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "GIVE ME YOUR TIRED, YOUR POOR,
YOUR HUDDLED MASSES YEARNING TO BREATHE FREE,
THE WRETCHED REFUSE OF YOUR TEEMING SHORE.
SEND THESE, THE HOMELESS, TEMPEST-TOST TO ME,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Bonus points for anyone who can tell me where you can read this poem...

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
THE NEW COLOSSUS

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
MOTHER OF EXILES. From her beacon-hand
Glows WORLD-WIDE WELCOME; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "GIVE ME YOUR TIRED, YOUR POOR,
YOUR HUDDLED MASSES YEARNING TO BREATHE FREE,
THE WRETCHED REFUSE OF YOUR TEEMING SHORE.
SEND THESE, THE HOMELESS, TEMPEST-TOST TO ME,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Bonus points for anyone who can tell me where you can read this poem...
See post 1493 for an answer.

perplexed

Guru
As an aside, I was on the pro-EU march in London yesterday, which was fab.

The Trump connection was that there was a chap pushing a supermarket trolly around in Parliament Square, in which he was carrying his wares.

His supermarket trolly contained tonnes of bog-rolls, each sheet of which had a picture of Trump's head on it.

His main customers arreared to be American tourists.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
His main customers arreared to be American tourists.
I utterly disagree with @Pale Rider asserting this has nothing to do with race the underlying point about America is worth pondering.

There is certainly a cohort over there, away from the more liberal coastal strips and big cities, who devour this stuff. They're the workers in industries that are declining or those struggling to survive on multiple jobs with a fair smattering of the 'squeezed middle'. They are not the sort of Americans who travel to Europe. Apart from affordability foreign travel is just not in their culture.

OTOH there is another set who are appalled and frightened by Trump and what he is doing to their country. We met a couple who were touring over here on a ferry to the Western Isles last year who expressed exactly that emotion. They were Californians and were pretty openly Democrat supporters though not without reservations about Hilary Clinton. There concerns were not just about the President but fact that even when President and both Houses were Republican 'checks and balances' should still work but were not. The idea of 'working across the aisles' seems to have died with both sides voting the party line as if whipped inUK sense.

I suspect that group are much more likely to visit uk and would love things like Trump bog roll the sale of which would probably promote a riot over there.

Diogenes

brr, summer's over
The idea of 'working across the aisles' seems to have died with both sides voting the party line as if whipped inUK sense.
That's the worrying trend in UK & US politics, this "us & them" attitude that's prevailing. The moderates in the Labour & Tory parties are being marginalised. Hearing people like Len McLuskey call Tories "the enemy" and John McDonnell saying a female MP should be "lynched" whilst the ERG talks about "traitors" is not how politics is meant to work.

mudsticks

Über Member

Or who doesn't think he's a lying, bullying, racist, xenophobic mysoginistic, philandering, dangerously selfish knuckle head, who loves nothing more than the sound of his own ignorant voice.

"Make 'Murica Grate again"

Yup - he's sure done that.

Utterly repellant.

His whipped up rallies, of are curiously reminiscent of footage I've seen posted from Madison Square Gardens in the Thirties.

View: https://www.facebook.com/NowThisPolitics/videos/233085170979915/

I worked in middle, and southern America on farms thirty years ago.. As part of my college sandwich year (I elected to go to USA - it wasn't compulsory)

There was still open reference to black farm workers as N****rs.

It was a very educational experience, in just how inwardlooking and insular the less educated portion of the USA is.

I guess if you've been repeatedly told, that your country, and the way it does things is "The best in the World" then it will be a very seductive position to take.

And not that difficult to get you to join an uninformed crowd who are all shouting the same misguided nonsense.

I know many Americans who are as equally appalled at this Trump flump as we are.. Let's just hope they can effectively mobilise in time for the 2020 election.

Diogenes

brr, summer's over
Or who doesn't think he's a lying, bullying, racist, xenophobic mysoginistic, philandering, dangerously selfish knuckle head, who loves nothing more than the sound of his own ignorant voice.

"Make 'Murica Grate again"

Yup - he's sure done that.

Utterly repellant.

His whipped up rallies, of are curiously reminiscent of footage I've seen posted from Madison Square Gardens in the Thirties.

View: https://www.facebook.com/NowThisPolitics/videos/233085170979915/

I worked in middle, and southern America on farms thirty years ago.. As part of my college sandwich year (I elected to go to USA - it wasn't compulsory)

There was still open reference to black farm workers as N****rs.

It was a very educational experience, in just how inwardlooking and insular the less educated portion of the USA is.

I guess if you've been repeatedly told, that your country, and the way it does things is "The best in the World" then it will be a very seductive position to take.

And not that difficult to get you to join an uninformed crowd who are all shouting the same misguided nonsense.

I know many Americans who are as equally appalled at this Trump flump as we are.. Let's just hope they can effectively mobilise in time for the 2020 election.
Visiting the US I was at a party where I was asked of all the countries I had visited, which was the best. The utter incomprehension when I didn't say "America" was quite a sight.

mudsticks

Über Member
Visiting the US I was at a party where I was asked of all the countries I had visited, which was the best. The utter incomprehension when I didn't say "America" was quite a sight.
I found it one of the most 'foreign' countries I've ever visited.

Maybe it's brought into sharper focus by the supposed 'shared' language.
It kind of made communicating harder in some ways.

The world view, or outlook (or lack of) was so different.

I've met far better informed people living in the mountains of North Africa..

And that was in pre Internet days..

It's not that they were 'bad' people.. Just so utterly convinced that The American Way was the only one true path..

Diplomats like to (very quietly) spend large sums of money on large receptions in even larger houses, collect their meaningless knighthoods, then retire (also very quietly) on an even larger large pension..

In character, they are the very opposite of Trump, so it's hardly surprising we can't find one that rates him.

You might as well look for a virgin bride in a brothel.

Me, on the other hand, could do a decent job.

Once the president realised I could easily equal his ignorance and bombast he would be eating out of my hand.

Top Bottom