I used to eat cake > The beginning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
[Originally blogged on CC: 27 October 2011]

The story so far is a simple one. I feel fat!

At 37 and 6 foot 6, I feel I need to be lighter than 17 stone 2lb. I have fears about it getting away from me, especially when I see colleagues that have had the same thing happen. The trouble is, I have little will power for dieting, I like the good things too much. Wines and roast dinners are all too common.

After a bitter break up of my marriage, enter Abi on the scene. Coming from an extremely out doors family suddenly I find myself walking loads at the weekend. Its at this time that I realise how much I've missed the outdoors. My previous relationship was with someone who was about as active as a particularly lazy sloth.

Time goes on, I make a good effort to eat more sensibly and I start to feel better. One day one of my colleagues suggests getting a bike through the cycle to work scheme. I start to look around and my terribly obsessive nature takes over and suddenly I know loads about nothing particular, but I love the idea of riding everywhere. When I was younger I used to do just that. I'd think nothing of a 15 mile ride with mates, but the thought of doing that now fills me with fear of exhaustion and asthma attacks.

Well, after a month of being messed around by my LBS I finally settle on a specialized crosstrail from a much more helpful shop. I'm surrounded by amazing trails and cycle paths thanks to living in Poole in Dorset. I vow to use it to ride to work, instead of walking the 1.8 miles, and extend rides home.

The thing is, I start to do that and realise that this is more than a way to get fit, it's de-stressing me too. After getting to easily doing 7 miles, then 10, then a hard 11 on consecutive days I'm really being gripped by the bug.

I feel that finally I've stumbled on something that I can really love.. I've had 2 rest days this week and I'm climbing the walls to get out. I'm buying a few bits of kit next week, some decent lighting and some padded shorts! I'm hoping that I'll continue to grow into this.
So far, since August, I've lost 9lbs through eating sensibly, walking and the last 3 weeks on the bike. I feel like I'm getting somewhere. Already I feel better, happier and less fat!

This is something I'll always do.. I know it.

Top Bottom