"I wondered why he was so quiet"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Disgruntled Goat said:
I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry at this one:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/7234810.stm

Laugh!

No, cry!

Hmmm... Laugh?

Maybe cry?

Err...

Sad though...

But a little funny.

Pete

sheddy said:
'discovered on a sofa'
Mmm, I wonder what sporting final was lost by England, 5 years ago ?
Take your pick .... :smile: How about England 1 - Brazil 2 (round about June 2002)? Timeline's about right.

I vaguely recall hearing a tale many years earlier. Concerned a friend of a friend. Not funny. This was a young couple with two small kids, went to have lunch with a relative (I think it was the dad's sister or something like that). Anyway, they'd phoned the day before to confirm, no reply, decided to go anyway. No answer to the door: luckily the husband told his wife to take the kids and wait in the car. Then he broke down the door. His sister was hanging in the stairwell. She'd been there over a week. OK, not five years, but very nasty all the same. Suicide, coroner's verdict.

Abitrary

Jaded said:
The story has changed, so the thread title makes no sense any more.

Jaded, in some misplaced optimism, I saw you had posted, and immediately tuned in to see... possibly some sort of beatific insight, a whisper of hope.

A glimmer. A soul turning. A butterfly in spring....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Pete said:
I vaguely recall hearing a tale many years earlier. Concerned a friend of a friend. Not funny. This was a young couple with two small kids, went to have lunch with a relative (I think it was the dad's sister or something like that). Anyway, they'd phoned the day before to confirm, no reply, decided to go anyway. No answer to the door: luckily the husband told his wife to take the kids and wait in the car. Then he broke down the door. His sister was hanging in the stairwell. She'd been there over a week. OK, not five years, but very nasty all the same. Suicide, coroner's verdict.

F***. That's nasty.

The OP? Sad I think, that the poor dead chap had no one else to miss him, and the only person around wasn't able to cope mentally with the situation or tell anyone, which suggests that perhaps he had no close support either.

bonj2

how decomposed would he have got? Would he have been no more than a skeleton, or would he have been recognisable?

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
how decomposed would he have got? Would he have been no more than a skeleton, or would he have been recognisable?

Depends on the conditions. If the smell was only noticed after 5 years, I suspect that decomposition had been delayed for some reason - perhaps the room was very cold, or very dry, and sealed well enough that flies (and hence maggots) had been excluded and the body had part mummified, then a change in conditions years later set decomposition going.

A dry skeleton wouldn't smell all that much - the really smelly stages are fairly early on in decomposition, from what I understand.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Don't laugh at this poor chap...it's a terrible example of how our society alienates mental health sufferers...

That was my thought.

Anyone see the Wonderland thing on BBC2 last week, about the lad with the challenging mental health problems? He was 'lucky' in that he had people really really trying to help him out, and an adoptive family providing extra money and love and so on. He could so easily have been in the position of this poor chap.

Pete

Arch said:
A dry skeleton wouldn't smell all that much - the really smelly stages are fairly early on in decomposition, from what I understand.
Roadkill is the typical cyclist's experience of what that smell must be like - in smaller doses. In summer, all too often, when I pass a dead fox or badger - one that's been there a week or so - and I can smell it fifty yards off .... xx(xx(;)

Jaded

Abitrary said:
Jaded, in some misplaced optimism, I saw you had posted, and immediately tuned in to see... possibly some sort of beatific insight, a whisper of hope.

A glimmer. A soul turning. A butterfly in spring....

A rhinoceros's wind wafting gently across your nostril...

Mental health. You don't need to know you have it until you haven't.

Top Bottom