IAM Poll on Speeding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Had a look at this, but don't understand it as they fail to define the word 'speeding'.
Do they mean exceeding the posted speed limit, or travelling too fast for the conditions at the time?

This thread should not be in Commuting, it should be in Campaign as all cyclists are affected, not just commuters. :angry:

thomas

the tank engine
Had a look at this, but don't understand it as they fail to define the word 'speeding'.
Do they mean exceeding the posted speed limit, or travelling too fast for the conditions at the time?

This thread should not be in Commuting, it should be in Campaign as all cyclists are affected, not just commuters. :angry:

A bit of common sense while reading the questions seems to suggest the posted speed limit. Some questions I found hard to answer, like when are you more likely to speed...well, would depend when I go out :tongue:. If I go out in the morning then if I were to speed it would be then, rather than the evening...not that you really can speed on a c90.

lol...Go on this page:
http://www.iam.org.uk/welcome/welcometoiamcycling.html

Look at the people. All have helmets. Now compare it to the motorcycling page. Not all the photos have people with helmets on :tongue:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Interesting reading looking at the preliminary results. Only 57% say they're more likely to speed on motorways, 25% - quarter of drivers are happy to speed where they might meet a hazard or another road user - on the rural and urban roads.

41% say they find it hard to comply with the speed limit. Should we read this as incompetance or a devil-may-care?

Nearly 4% are unconcerned about being caught, but 35% think a Police Presence has an effect on them speeding.

thomas

the tank engine
Nearly 4% are unconcerned about being caught, but 35% think a Police Presence has an effect on them speeding.

If I saw a Police car I would slow down - even if they are going the other way and wouldn't be able to tell my speed. I wouldn't instantly be concerned about being caught speeding if I was just driving down a road at a bit over the limit.

If I saw a Police car I would slow down - even if they are going the other way and wouldn't be able to tell my speed. I wouldn't instantly be concerned about being caught speeding if I was just driving down a road at a bit over the limit.

Trouble is that this is very dangerous..... if Police cars enforce the law. Apparently it kills thousands every year as drivers are forced to look for these Police cars instead of observing the road!

Trouble is that this is very dangerous..... if Police cars enforce the law. Apparently it kills thousands every year as drivers are forced to look for these Police cars instead of observing the road!

What rubbish! No one forces anyone to 'look at police cars' Those who do are the same incompetent halfwits that brake when they approach speed camaras even when they are not exceeding the speed limit

downfader

extimus uero philosophus

What rubbish! No one forces anyone to 'look at police cars' Those who do are the same incompetent halfwits that brake when they approach speed camaras even when they are not exceeding the speed limit

Irony lost. :hello:

That was actually a quote from a motoring organisation when Manchester Police used marked cars with video to target poor driving.

Almost as good as the AA with

Enforcement lacks connection with the driver until after the event

Naughty wicked Police - imagine actually waiting until someone has committed an offence before doing somehing about it!

But surely it would do more to improve safety if speeding were deterred in the first place, rather than detected afterwards?

Actually there is some sense in this, however as far back as Hobbes' Leviathan in the 1600s there has been a case where some individuals will only conform if the fear of the consequences is great enough.

Hence we need (unfortunately) to be reactive rather than pro-active. THere needs to be sufficient consequence to deter the offender

One step forward though used successfully in the fleet operators is pychometric testing where the drivers attitude is assessed and training targeted to meet risk taking and poor attitudes.

Ideally this would achieve exactly what is needed - identify, educate and resolve the issues before the driver gets anywhere near a vehicle, and in some caases ensure they never do!

However the UK has a system that says you cannot be prosecuted because you might do something, you have to actually commit the offence first in which case it is bang to rights!

Top Bottom