ice side pods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3tyretrackterry

has anyone got the ice side pods for there trike i would be interested in some close up pictures of them from different angles as i have some side pockets from a rucksac that i may be able to adapt. looking for pics of how they fit on the seat and any adjustment mechanisms or clips that are on them
Many Thanks

The side pods are Radical Design (or copies), lots of information on the design, and images.

Basically there are three straps that cross between the two pods and allow them to hang either side. The design changes slightly if you use hard shell or mesh seats or if you do (or don't) have a pannier rack.

45cotterless

Yo,
http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/trikes/accessories.htm#radical_side_pods
There's 2 straps across the seat and the 3rd top strap has an adjustable length clip.
Either twist the strap around the seat bar or over a rear carrier.They're not fully waterproof, but for the money are good value.
I tried to make a pair out of those silly one strap rucksacks, having one on each side, I think that would work.
I think if you had 3 strps of webbing across the seat you could bodge up something similar.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/ice wedgie/cotterless45/katie006.jpg?o=1
is a wedgie box that I made to go behind the homemade headrest. Correx is excellent stuff.

OP
OP

3tyretrackterry

just pics of them on the trike from the front showing how they rest across the seat how the straps are joined and if possible measurements also could you show a pic of them packed if possible so i can see how they hang and any clips or buckles
i know its a lot but would really help and if i can do it for not much at all SWMBO will be well impressed and i get loads of brownie points.
Thanks again

dataretriever

OK, first a pic off the trike

P1010219.jpg

Side view:

P1010216.jpg

Note the bottom straps that just "sling" over the seat.

Rear View:

P1010217.jpg

The top strap clips round the top seat bar holding the pods up and in, they naturally swing away from the rear wheel.

Side view, pods open:

P1010218.jpg

Allowing access whilst sat on the trike without them disgorging the contents on the road.

I guess you could fashion a pair from rucksack side pouches but the opening would be in the wrong place to allow access whilst sat on the trike without emptying over the tarmac.

Personally I'd just stump up for the pre-made pair or ask Santa; they are very well designed and it would save lots of botching/fiddling/swearing to achieve the same result.

Cunobelin said:
The side pods are Radical Design (or copies), lots of information on the design, and images.

For Info :-
Made by Radical Design but the spec is a special contracted design for ICE hence the none standard finer details and ICE brand tags
on the side pod /banana bags ....Cheers :ohmy:

OP
OP

3tyretrackterry

superb pics thanks a lot they show just wat i want the main pic being the one of the top strap i couldnt work out how they stayed in place but starting to make sense now
Thanks again

45cotterless

Nice, how on earth do you ride with the seat so upright? It's a bit fiddly, but if you release the rear section you can pull it out and refix the seat at a more laid back angle. Include adding a bit of chain and cables!

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes VERY upright. Surely you get a numb bum after a while on that! It's so much more comfortable angled back! Even my Kettwiesel is relcined further back that.

OP
OP

3tyretrackterry

i have reclined it once but made such a hash of it and ended up taking two days to get the gears running sweet again. to be fair i find it very comfortable as is on rides that i do approx distance 20mile i did 57miles ish with cullin and had no problems but am open to changing it again in the future

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I've got the Radical Sidepods and like them, however they aren't waterproof and this has been a problem from time to time. I usually use my Ice rack with decent panniers now, unless I want to feel very streamlined (like today when I used sidepods).

One magic hint, I've stuck sticky gaffer tape with red and green for Port & Starboard pockets, so you know which one's got your stuff in when off the trike. I stuck the sticky on the plastic clip and on the zip pull and it works really well.

Top Bottom