Icebreaker merino gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
I never thought I'd be back in woolly vests - but these are a different class compared to those old itchy items. I'd heard good things and read good review of the Ground Effect merino cycling tops direct from New Zealand but was reluctant to order something that I hadn't actually seen in the flesh.
So finding Icebreaker gear (also from New Zealand) in Aviemore was a happy, if expensive, break.
The first purchase was a women's technical T - close fitting enough to go under cycling jerseys/jackets but good looking enough to wear with jeans to the pub. It's the lighter 190 material which makes a great base layer. It's been as warm and comfortable as advertised - especially when stopping for a mid-ride coffee break - and much less odiferous after a day or two than a synthetic top.
Since then I've acquired another technical T, a Chase crew neck (technical top with more open, mesh-like side panels) and a Chase zip neck (with a higher neck and a short - 1/4 length - zip). All are well made, nicely styled and at reasonable prices (unless you expect Lidl/Aldi level) of £30-40 for the T's and £40-50 for the more complicated tops.

I'm definitely looking out for the heavier weight tops both for cycling and for leisure wear.

BTW each garment has a Baa-code (and that's not a typo) so you can meet the exact sheep that produced the wool for it - now how's that for tracing the source ;) not something you'll get will Helly Hansen's polypro

Value 8/10
Performance 10/10
Overall 9/10

Top Bottom