Identifying Viking frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I have acquired an old Viking frame - I'd love to know the age (approx.) and the model.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The rear dropouts are spaced at 115mm.
It is built with Reynolds 531 Butted tubing
It has a sticker "Supplied by The Lightweight Shop Ipswich"
Has anyone of heard of The Lightweight Shop in Ipswich - during what years was it open ?
There is a serial number on the near side rear dropout 5 84 R
I'd be very pleased to know any information that anyone can provide.
Thank you !

peanut

I'd have said it was probably from the late 50's early 60's .
The rake of the forks and abscence of rear gear hanger boss is pretty indicative plus the lamp boss on the forks .
The coloured bands on the seat tube is your best bet for dating as it is likely that this frame was a special or commemorative edition of some world champoinship race .
Clean up a bit of the band and see what colours they are and google
Nice frameset should look gorgeous restored with chrome and purple mmmmm;)

mmm could be a decade earlier .

Just found this potted history of Viking using Google
http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/Museum/Transport/bicycles/Viking.htm

Norm

I've a Viking with a frame which looks very similar to that, even down to the lamp boss, which I bought new in 1979 when I was 15. I don't have any pix at the moment, nor many details but the frame was gold (which goes rather well with rust).

Love that page on the history of Vikings, p'nut. :biggrin:

peanut

Norm said:
I've a Viking with a frame which looks very similar to that, even down to the lamp boss, which I bought new in 1979 when I was 15. I don't have any pix at the moment, nor many details but the frame was gold (which goes rather well with rust).

Love that page on the history of Vikings, p'nut. :laugh:

it would be a useful link for our classic bike thread/sub section wouldn't it.
Lets see a piccy of your Viking then :laugh:

Norm

peanut said:
Lets see a piccy of your Viking then :laugh:
[stands to attention and salutes smartly] Sir, Yes Sir! [/stands to attention and salutes smartly] :laugh:

I'll try to get some up later.

peanut

Norm said:
[stands to attention and salutes smartly] Sir, Yes Sir! [/stands to attention and salutes smartly] ;)

I'll try to get some up later.

rite den ....................staaan by yor beds ...movit movit ;)

peanut

thats lovely, wraparound seatstays and nice lugwork. Always brings tears to my eyes when i see those stems ;)

Must be quite quick as it has a pretty close clearance at the back.

If you want an original period centrepull brake caliper I could probably rustle one up from my bitsnbobs box.

At a guess I'd say that was a trackmaster frame

alecstilleyedye said:
indeed. this bike is from '62 and has a similar rake angle…

4093191737_a45c009fcd.jpg

possibly the paint jobs are a clue also, the style of the stripes on the seat tube.

Norm

peanut said:
Lets see a piccy of your Viking then :blush:
Your wish...

th_DSCN2056.jpg th_DSCN2058.jpg th_DSCN2059.jpg
th_DSCN2060.jpg th_DSCN2061.jpg th_DSCN2063.jpg

Did I mention the rust? :smile:

peanut

oh my gosh :blush: if that isn't a stuck seatpost my name isn't dry roasted :smile:
thats very original. Love the 'patina' (rust):smile: good to see an unmolested example still being used

I must start looking for a classic bike before they are all restored .

thanks for the pictures, we really should start a thread for classic bike pictures

Norm

peanut said:
oh my gosh :blush: if that isn't a stuck seatpost my name isn't dry roasted :smile:
Well, how should we refer to you because that post is as free as a free thing.

The copper colouring around the top of the frame is from squirty (yeah, I know) anti-seize which I applied only last week. :smile:

peanut

Norm said:
Well, how should we refer to you because that post is as free as a free thing.

The copper colouring around the top of the frame is from squirty (yeah, I know) anti-seize which I applied only last week. :blush:

glad to hear it :smile:

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I've been told by a very knowledgeable guy, that my Viking could be a very early Severn Valley or more likely a Viking SS model. He is certain that it is is pre-1953.

Does anyone know anything about the Viking Master Series SS model ? (Please no sarky comments about the model name).

peanut

pubrunner said:
I've been told by a very knowledgeable guy, that my Viking could be a very early Severn Valley or more likely a Viking SS model. He is certain that it is is pre-1953.

Does anyone know anything about the Viking Master Series SS model ? (Please no sarky comments about the model name).

have you read the Viking history that I gave you a link to ?:rolleyes:xx( ?????jeez

SS is referred to in the history , It has specially cut lugs with 531 tubeset as I understood it.

if you let us have some closeup pictures of the BB and seat lug and drop outs and decal banding we might stand half a chance of identifying it

Top Bottom