Idiot cyclist Princess Parkway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

elvisparsley

Pedestrian crossing on Princess Parkway Manchester 5pm today, Red light- I stopped so I could roll across the crossing as I was turning off right here, a bloke on a bike wearing a yellow vest carries on stright through the crossroads, misses the crossing peds but catches my front wheel, knocking me down. Now I know I should strictly have dismounted here to cross over, but even if I had, he would have still jumped the lights and probably hit me. He didn't even stop, just a cheery 'sorry mate'. Yeah thanks MATE. Whoever you are, you're an idiot. Carry on like that, your yellow vest ain't going to be much use

Tynan

Veteran
changing from road to crossing use ain't clever imho, people don't expect it, a bit like people hopping onto the road from the pavement, the two thing aren't interchangeable

only an observation, I'm not saying you were in the wrong in anyway

G_MAN

At the end of the day red lights are there for a reason and it's idiots like the one elvisparsley mentions that jeapordise their own lives and those of others as well and give us all a bad name. In my opinion if you can't follow the highway code then you don't deserve to be on the road.

Tynan

Veteran
rolling through a red light to then use the ped crossing without dismounting though?

just to be argumentative

hackbike 6

G_MAN said:
At the end of the day red lights are there for a reason and it's idiots like the one elvisparsley mentions that jeapordise their own lives and those of others as well and give us all a bad name. In my opinion if you can't follow the highway code then you don't deserve to be on the road.

Agreed..what a sensible poster.

Pip

Agreed again - one of the things that frustrates me most is fellow cyclists jumping reds. I even got yelled at by a guy on a Brompton in Bristol once for stopping for a red when he was behined me and clearly had no intention of stopping......

OP
OP
elvisparsley

elvisparsley

I know I know I should have got off but it's not like I swerved right out, I was almost at a stop so I could give the pedestrians a wide berth. I'm not whiter than white but in this case I would have been at risk along with the other pesestrians even if I had dismounted. I just don't get how someone can just blast through, with respect to their own safety, never mind anyone else's. The lights had been red for several seconds and it was a busy crossroads. I would have also expected that a cyclist would stop if he'd hit someone. We're supposed to be gentle folk, aren't we?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had a lady cyclist (well, middle aged well dressed lady) jump 2 sets and would have done the 3rd given a chance, but the A34 in Parrs Wood is a bit too busy - she was 20ft in front of the ASL....right up to the crossing traffic lane.....

I did shout after her that she'd get killed doing that....

jely

Pip said:
Agreed again - one of the things that frustrates me most is fellow cyclists jumping reds.

it absolutely drives me insane.... and it winds me up even more if I've already overtaken them on the road, stopped at a red-light and then they go through the red-light instead of waiting behind someone who's obviously faster than them... damn fools, that's what they are... and yes, it gives us cyclists who actually respect the rules a bad name... grrrr grrrr!

PBancroft

Absolutely agree with the sentiment on RLJers, if for nothing else than it is illegal, and it does annoy other road users, and that kind of behaviour reflect badly on ME.

If you see that guy again, stick your pump through his spokes as he sails past, and yell SORRY MATE.

simoncc

Kaipaith said:
Absolutely agree with the sentiment on RLJers, if for nothing else than it is illegal, and it does annoy other road users, and that kind of behaviour reflect badly on ME.

If you see that guy again, stick your pump through his spokes as he sails past, and yell SORRY MATE.

So we must stop doing something on the road only if it is illegal AND annoys motorists? That'd explain why motorists often whine about cyclist RLJers but never moan about motorists who break speed limits, use phones and park on the pavement. They know their behaviour is illegal, but it doesn't annoy them, so its OK!

PBancroft

simoncc said:
So we must stop doing something on the road only if it is illegal AND annoys motorists? That'd explain why motorists often whine about cyclist RLJers but never moan about motorists who break speed limits, use phones and park on the pavement. They know their behaviour is illegal, but it doesn't annoy them, so its OK!

Actually, I think they do moan about those things, quite vocally too.

The difference is, when they decide to vent their anger on such people by cutting them up, yelling at them, whatever, they're both relatively safe inside their cars.

Naturally we're not.

And to clarify, I did say if for nothing else than it is illegal and annoying other road users... not necessarily just motorists, as elvisparsley found out.

Top Bottom