Idiot in a car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tmcd35

Okay, hands up! The idiot in a car is me.

I really can't believe this happened but this morning I was coming out of my turning and hit a cyclist. I can't believe I didn't see him, but really - gods honest trueth - I didn't. There was an empty road in both directions, he wasn't there. I start pulling out and he is in front of my bonnet. Unfortunately I can't hit the brakes in time, besides with the ice on the road the car slid anyway.

I can't believe I didn't see him - bright yellow top for crying out loud! Thankfully he wasn't hurt in any way. Shock up but not hurt.

I gave him my details. We got into a bit of an argument because I wasn't happy giving my private phone number, but I did give it in the end. I don't know, perhaps that was just the shock making me act irrationally. Silly thing is I didn't get any of his details and ham now thinking maybe I should have.

The frame on his bike bent. I admit liablity, gave him my insurance details - he wasn't happy about that. We'll see what happens next but I'm posting this just to show on some level there are two sides to every story.

I hope he realises I truely am sorry. As a cyclist I shout at idiot drivers every time I'm out on me bike - "cant you see my bright orange top?".

Really not the best start to the day, for either of us!

400bhp

Guru
sh1t happens. He's alive and appears to be uninjured.

It's nice to see someone bucking the insurance advice trend and admitting responsibillity. :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bad luck.

The chap probably doesn't have BC / CTC insurance, so it's tricky for him to put in a claim for a new bike - most folk wouldn't have a clue, so that's probably why he wasn't too happy, that and shock.

TBH, he doesn't need to speak to you again anyway, just let the insurance sort it out as companies now have easy access to records, unlike many years ago.

The old saying......... look and look again.... but we all know folk just look but don't see....

Best thing you can do is apologise if he calls and admit you cocked up.

No-one hurt which is the main thing.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It's a rare person who is perfect whether behind the wheel or on a bike.... why wasn't he happy at being given you insurance details and when you admitted liability (whilst obviously recognising he wasn't happy at being hit!)?

OP
OP
T

tmcd35

Despite 'look....and look again' - I've come away from this scared at how easy it is not to see. At no point, other than in front of the windscreen, despite his clothing did he's presence register in my brain, despite being a cyclist myself so usually on the look out. I think that's what shock me up more than anything else. Accidents happen, but quiet frankly that could have been me!

He say's he's taking the bike to a repair shop and getting a quote to straighten it out. Personally I think, unless his very lucky it'd be a right off - is it at all save straightening out a frame? He recons it'll cost me £50, and that's why he wanted my phone number. He wasn't happer with the idea of claiming against my motor insurance and "waiting three months". Despite my personal preference, I caved in and gave him my number as well - we'll see what happens next.

mark barker

Despite 'look....and look again' - I've come away from this scared at how easy it is not to see. At no point, other than in front of the windscreen, despite his clothing did he's presence register in my brain, despite being a cyclist myself so usually on the look out. I think that's what shock me up more than anything else. Accidents happen, but quiet frankly that could have been me!

It is scary, and I'm very thankful that I've never been in that position myself. It does make you wonder what we can do to make ourselves more visable....

He wasn't happer with the idea of claiming against my motor insurance and "waiting three months". Despite my personal preference, I caved in and gave him my number as well - we'll see what happens next.
I'd be surprised if he has to wait at all... As you've already accepted liability theres a good chance that the insurance will pay out without any hassle unless he makes a claim for stupid amounts. However..... Have you considered the costs to yourself? Loss of no claims and future increases in premiums might well make it cheaper to pay him directly and not go through insurance at all. If you do go down this route, pay by cheque so you've got proof that you made a payment!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What sort of bike was it? I can't imagine that a bike shop could fix a frame for £50 ... even if they could fix a frame. I would assume that most frames unless very special/unique would be a write off after being bent in an accident.

How are you feeling now?

007fair

Okay, hands up! The idiot in a car is me.

What sort of car do you drive?
I have a Ford S Max and the A pillars are so thick and angled that they can hide whole cars from view when at junctions
I think this is a current trend in car design (even in small cars like Corsa and Fiesta) and maybe makes the people IN the car safer - but those outside more likely not to be seen

nightoff

It just shows how vunerable cyclists are and at the mercy of drivers. Brave of you to own up to that on here.

Did you notice what sort of bike he had? I wonder if the bike is stolen hence his reluctance to go through the proper channels.

OP
OP
T

tmcd35

What sort of bike was it? I can't imagine that a bike shop could fix a frame for £50 ... even if they could fix a frame. I would assume that most frames unless very special/unique would be a write off after being bent in an accident.

It looked like an old road/racing bike. I didn't think it coule be repaired, that's partly why I gave hime my insurance details. He hasn't called back yet. Maybe he's decided I'm an a*se hole who need reporting to the police, or he's decided the insurance route is the way to go?

How are you feeling now?

Even at the time, I think the way I feel is beside the point. I'm more concerned about the other guy - I did ruin his day after all. But me, we'll I've calmed down a bit but am still utterly pissed off at the whole situation.

My car? A Toyota Carina E. And yes I've always found the pillars to be a bit obstructive. I really do think this was a case of bad timing, as I tried to tell the poor fellow after I hit him. I didn't see him on the first look and on the second he must have been the other side of that retchid pillar, right in my blind spot.

Stolen? I don't think so. Or at least I hope not, I'm sure bike theft looses it's appeal once you reach a certain age - he was atleast in is 50's.

OP
OP
T

tmcd35

It just shows how vunerable cyclists are and at the mercy of drivers. Brave of you to own up to that on here.

Possibly. But like I say, as a cyclist myself I know how it is.

Odd's on a few of us here are going to be on the recieving end of an unlucky driver, perhaps I will one day. If it happens, as hard as it may be, just remember - accidents happen, their are two sides to every story, it's only a bike and can be replaces - probably at the drivers expense any way, and you are still alive. If you can keep a cool head and remember all of that then the worst has already happened and it will sort it self out in time.

My feeling is the other guy, understandably, didn't see it this way. I think I caught him at the start of a very bad day - apparantly his car is also out of action and a 5 mile walk home. He thought I was being obnocsious by not wanting to give out my private phone number. At one point, as I was writing the number down, he threatened me with the poilce if I didn't give it to him. Which made me scribble out the number and dig my heels in.

Like I say at the end of the day we were both upset and put out by this and accidents unfortuantly do happen.

OP
OP
T

tmcd35

You have of course reported this to the police?

Er no, nor do I have his details, or will I deny anything if the police ask. Should I report this to the police? Why does this have to escalate that far? He has my insurance details, really what more does he need?

Er no, nor do I have his details, or will I deny anything if the police ask. Should I report this to the police? Why does this have to escalate that far? He has my insurance details, really what more does he need?

You should for a couple of reasons.
One is so that you insurance company knows that it did really happen when they are asked to settle and it isn't a fraudulent claim. Another is so that if\when the other guy reports it, he can't embellish too much. If he reports it and you don't, then you can look bad trying to escape responsibility etc.

I wouldn't worry, there is no injury so no action will be taken, except for insurance records.

Top Bottom