If I was Cadel Evans tonight....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

I wouldnt give up that fact that the tours over...

I'd tomorrow, go out and attack and see if I could get the yellow.

OK, its not sporting but at the same time he's ben worked over more times than a 'pro' on this tour well and truly more so than Caise'd'spange or whatever they're called and CSC...who's perfomances make me wonder esp. if Mr 60% involved especially !

Cadel hasnt exactly had a team thats totally built around him and cetain people have joshed him for his attitude, well i know for a fact that if it was me in his shoes i may have had some of his moods

The man is obviously taking the bloody thing seriously.

The tour is something we'll never experience and if any of those that deride Cadel could experience it i beleive some of them may well show some crazyiness.

Either way, the attack would show the established ie Valverde/the Schelcks/Mr 60%/ some ass...and a nice finger to go with it !

Cause if anything THEY NEED IT !

Well anyway; thats my opinion.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Unfortunately tomorrows stage is just a glorified criterium where it is impossible to gain more than a few seconds. Any attack would not only have CSC chasing him down but all the sprinters want this stage above any other and getting a gap would be impossible.

The thing about the race being neutralised on the final stage by unspoken agreement is just a myth. There are no significant breakaways on the run to Paris for the reasons above, but if the result ever hinged on a handful of seconds it would be daggers drawn from start to finish. The only thing that can stop Sastre winning is a crash that puts him out or a complete collapse of form.

Keith Oates said:
I share some of your sympathies, Yenners, Evans has had a rough deal in this tour and achieved 2nd place by a very lone effort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nah, cobblers. Evans has stuck so close to the wheels of the other GC riders that he didn't need a team of his own! I'd love to see him throw his balls at the wall and have a dig tomorrow. Futile but it would earn him some sorely needed glory points.

Keith Oates

Janner
Chuffy said:
Nah, cobblers. Evans has stuck so close to the wheels of the other GC riders that he didn't need a team of his own! I'd love to see him throw his balls at the wall and have a dig tomorrow. Futile but it would earn him some sorely needed glory points.

I wasn't talking about Shoemaker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yello

He's saying Slotto don't have the money that CSC do so don't have the class riders - that a boy Cadel, endear yourself to your team mates on the final day!

Nope, he was alone a lot the time and so exposed. Under the circumstances, he did extremely well but he must have known that was likely to happen from day 1. It's not like he didn't know the relative strengths. Saying it now is just sour grapes.

Maybe they didn't want to ride for him?

I'm pleased with the result the way it's turned out. I liked Evans less as the Tour progressed. I think him breaking tradition and launching an attack in the final stage today would lose him more supporters than it would gain, and get him bad press to boot.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I was chuffed Sastre won...Evans is too strange looking for me!! I do feel for him though (that British Underdog thing). To come second two years running must be pretty gutting.

The husband and I were talking about it last night and we both said we'd try to win today if we were Evans. It's not over until the Fat Lady's on the Champs Elysees...

wafflycat

I'm glad Sastre's got it. I like Sastre. This is why.

A few years ago, watching the TdF over in France, husband & son went to watch the end of a particular stage. Offspring is a keen CSC fan. He was, naturally, wearing one of his CSC jerseys (the issue from a couple of years previous IIRC). At the end of the stage, CSC car with Sastre in the back, having a recovery drink. Car surrounded by hoardes, and away from car but watching was my offspring. Sastre spotted my offspring in his CSC jersey and beckoned him over. Sastre effectively ignored the crowds and picked out the one teenager in a CSC jersey, even though said youngster was well-away from the immmediate throng. My son walked over aad Sastre gave him his drink bottle (with 'Carlos' written on it). I like the fact that Sastre took a bit of time to identify a CSC fan and make sure that said fan got the gift rather than just chucking it to the crowd. It made my son's day.

Saddle bum

Über Member
IMHO, Evans tried to "do an Anquetil" and rely on the time trial, but he does not have the ability, or the team, to support the tactic.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:
I'm glad Sastre's got it. I like Sastre. This is why.

A few years ago, watching the TdF over in France, husband & son went to watch the end of a particular stage. Offspring is a keen CSC fan. He was, naturally, wearing one of his CSC jerseys (the issue from a couple of years previous IIRC). At the end of the stage, CSC car with Sastre in the back, having a recovery drink. Car surrounded by hoardes, and away from car but watching was my offspring. Sastre spotted my offspring in his CSC jersey and beckoned him over. Sastre effectively ignored the crowds and picked out the one teenager in a CSC jersey, even though said youngster was well-away from the immmediate throng. My son walked over aad Sastre gave him his drink bottle (with 'Carlos' written on it). I like the fact that Sastre took a bit of time to identify a CSC fan and make sure that said fan got the gift rather than just chucking it to the crowd. It made my son's day.

Now I really like Sastre as well!

Top Bottom