If it looks wrong, it probably is wrong...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

My elder son had a near miss today coming home from a training blat. There may be some benefit to younger riders in sharing this, so I will:

We'd had a mild, new-year-type spinny ride into the local lanes and were ambling home after our 'finish point'. I was about 50 metres ahead and saw a car being driven oddly where a minor road joined our road from the left. The car was well back from the Give Way stripes, but rolling forward like an old-school automatic at idle. The driver (about 65 to 75) seemed to be looking at a map on the passenger seat. She looked up at me for an instant, but appeared oblivious to my presence.

I knew son the elder was coming that way, but he was too far back to yell to. I just kept going and kept looking back. Son came up to the junction in something like recovery mode, folded over the bars and breathing deeply...

Out came the car on cue, right across his bow. He braked and all was well. He is a diplomatic fellow, so no words were spoken. He put a foot down, but more in relief than out of necessity.

Once he'd come up to me, I asked if he'd seen the car being 'odd' and he had. He'd realised the driver was somehow with the fairies and had slowed in curiosity and anticipation. Happily, he'd read the whole thing very well and saw that this was a SMIDSY waiting to happen.

Not for the first time, I was surprised how much of a jolt one gets from seeing one's offspring in jeopardy.

The moral I would have given him from the story if he hadn't already sussed it out was this: If another road user appears to be driving, riding or walking oddly or illogically or unpredictably, get ready for a surprise.

He did and he was and he braked on cue.

On an unconnected theme, wasn't the wind a bastard this morning?

Good example of being ale to stop in the distance you can see to be clear - shame all road users don't demonstrate the same level of ability!

It is horrible watching your own child using the road with their own vehicle.

I remember my daughter's 16th birthday. She had a moped and I rode it to the test centre so she could do her CRT (is that right?) off-road basics, then they took her out on a road ride, followed by an instructor.

About 4pm she returned to the test centre, and was "signed off" as safe to ride by herself. So we set off for home, and she made a couple of godawful mistakes/misjudgements on the way home, but got away with them. It didn't do much for my blood pressure, watching from the car which was following her home though!

Dan_h

I remember my daughter's 16th birthday. She had a moped and I rode it to the test centre so she could do her CRT (is that right?) off-road basics, then they took her out on a road ride, followed by an instructor.

About 4pm she returned to the test centre, and was "signed off" as safe to ride by herself. So we set off for home, and she made a couple of godawful mistakes/misjudgements on the way home, but got away with them. It didn't do much for my blood pressure, watching from the car which was following her home though!

Close, should be CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 1258

My youngest son passed his car test in August, now whilst his driving is good for an inexperienced young lad I can't relax when I'm in the passenger seat, I cant help but be aware of his lack of experience.

Bicycle well done for teaching your lad to ride well, and well done to your son for reading the situation well.
My lad wasn't so lucky, a few weeks after he passed his test someone pulled onto a roundabout at speed and ploughed into my lad spinning him round, then kept going, never stopped and the police haven't traced him. Fortunately no one hurt, he had his Fiancée in the car with him, but the car was badly damaged and is still off the road.

Top Bottom