If it was any of you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrRidley

Went for a nice sunday morning ride to avonbridge and back (43mls) i even fixed my first p******e by the roadside, however what annoyed me a little was the six cyclists who i saw on the road today including the one who passed while i was fixing the you know what who didnt even acknowledge i was there, i waved to the three i saw on the other side of the road but no response, the two that i passed albeit slowly i said morning to and the one that passed me not even gave a word back, i thought it was the norm for cyclists to a least give a nod or a wave as we pass each other or maybe stop for a bit of a chat.

thomas

the tank engine
bhoyjim said:
Went for a nice sunday morning ride to avonbridge and back (43mls) i even fixed my first p******e by the roadside, however what annoyed me a little was the six cyclists who i saw on the road today including the one who passed while i was fixing the you know what who didnt even acknowledge i was there, i waved to the three i saw on the other side of the road but no response, the two that i passed albeit slowly i said morning to and the one that passed me not even gave a word back, i thought it was the norm for cyclists to a least give a nod or a wave as we pass each other or maybe stop for a bit of a chat.

Maybe it's bad luck to look a man in the eye who has a puncture :laugh:.

I dunno, I usually try to nod and wave to other cyclists, especially if they say hi first. Around UNI and town I'll wave to others who look like they're actually into cycling, rather than just students on bikes as they'd just look at me like a weirdo for saying hi. It's easier to tell out on the countrylanes. Sometimes you can just tell people will blank you...I know my ctc group back home will always say hi to other cyclists and groups.

As for the puncture, I'd ask/offer a hand - have lent a pump before. Or at least i'd say hi and if you're okay.

Arch

Married to Night Train
If I greeted every cyclist I saw about town, I'd be waving all the time, and 95% of them would think I was a loony...

Out on the road, I suppose I try and give a nod to someone as we pass but I don't see why they should acknowledge me, just because we happen to both be on bikes. I wouldn't expect other drivers to acknowledge me in a car (unless maybe, we were both in the same kind of classic).

Thinking about it, if I passed someone who was obviously getting on fine with fixing a puncture, I don't know if I'd offer help. Someone who looked stumped, then yes, I think I would.

Also of course, out on a quiet road, sometimes you're just drifting along in your own little world (or you're 'in the zone' or something - for me, it's the former)) and don't notice people until you're past them...

The majority of other cyclists who I pass on a leisure cycle nod/ wave/ say hello but there is a couple who don't maybe their too engrossed in things, I don't really bother. On a commute not many do, perhaps they are in a rush to get to work but again I don't really bother about it.

maurice

I find most do respond, if you're on the same sort of bike.

i.e. Not many roadies will respond to me on the mtb unless I'm looking a bit pro (lycra instead of baggies etc). If I'm on the road bike it's a different matter!

You'll always get some snobs that don't, I tend to find they're also a bit slow - probably occasional cyclists who feel they're above associating with us!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'd always offer assistance to another cyclist having a "mechanical" even if it's only a p*ncture. That's how the wheel of Kharma works.

Tynan

Veteran
a cyclist should be able to del with a flat and it's usually clear that they know what they doing, I recall very well on the Dun Run some poor saps clearly fitting new tubes quickly and having to say fine over and over again to those passing all being good

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Tynan said:
a cyclist should be able to del with a flat and it's usually clear that they know what they doing, I recall very well on the Dun Run some poor saps clearly fitting new tubes quickly and having to say fine over and over again to those passing all being good

Whilst I agree most do know what they're doing (on the Dunny, I'd assume most would be hardened cyclists... or plain crazy;)), I feel it better not to assume when out on the road miles from nowhere. That ssumes also that it's just a P*ncture and not something slightly more complex. It's not always immediately obvious who is competent and who are not, I've know of plenty go out under equipped and learned the hard way. I figure an offer of help even if you reject-it is better than none when you really need it!

wafflycat

Well, if I see another cyclist in what appears to be a difficulty, I will ask if there's anything I can do to help. As for greeting/acknowledging other cyclists, if it's a quiet lane, there's usually a nod, hello, 'nice day' or whatever. In twon, in traffic, then that's different as I'm keeping my wits about me as regards what is going on around me. As for any particular group most likely to acknowledge or ignore? None in particular, except the local yoof on MTBs aren't particularly communicative..

asterix

Comrade Member
Recently in France I stopped to help a cyclist who appeared to have lost something in a ditch. His bike seemed to be fine and he declined my help.

Later I realized he was almost certainly looking for his shades.

Whilst watching the etape I saw a Brit rider get a puncture and his bike was immediately seized by a French cyclist spectator who rapidly fixed the flat and sent him on his way. The Brit didn't seem hugely grateful but I guess he was pretty knackered by then.

Neddy

I nipped into town yesterday and did the usual 'cyclists nod' to all the roadies I passed and couldn't understand why it wasn't being reciprocated. Then I remembered: I was wearing jeans and riding my old Halfrauds hackbike. It seems you only qualify for recognition if you look the part.

longers

Legendary Member
On the Holme Moss loop in November with a good few others from here, I punctured and got offered help from a passing walker who was concerned my hands might have been too cold to do it and a chap came out of his house to invite me in to warm up afterwards - it was quite a cold day.

There's some good folk out there ;)

Offering to help never does any harm.

Top Bottom