Ignorant motorists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robster

Yesterday I was coming down the hill towards my house, which is quite long so I get up a fair bit of speed. Its quite a busy road and there was a bus on the other side of the road waiting to turn right. I thought he would carry on waiting, but he just pulled out in front of me causing me to brake fairly sharply.

Then this morning I was going just about to pass a side road, when a white van which was waiting to pull out just pulled out in front of me, closely followed to my shouting an obscenity. It seems even if you don't think you are the kind of person to get annoyed easily, road rage can easily take hold.

I bought an Airzound compressed air bike horn a while ago, but have not fitted it so far, I should definately get round to doing that. It's REALLY loud!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Welcome to the world of commuting...

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
The trick is to assume that they will pull out, then if they do it's no great surprise, and so no rage, if they don't it's a pleasant thank-you-for-not-trying-to-kill-me nod and smile and on you go !

Somebody on the forum suggested pseudo pedaling down hill (keeping the axles moving instead of freewheeling but not actually pushing). I've been doing this lately and it seems to be effective, along with correct road positioning in reducing the number of cars that pull out in front of me.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
upsidedown said:
The trick is to assume that they will pull out, then if they do it's no great surprise, and so no rage, if they don't it's a pleasant thank-you-for-not-trying-to-kill-me nod and smile and on you go !
Excellent tip - and one with wider application. Assume they will open that door, turn left without signalling, suddenly pull a u-ey, etc etc, make allowances; if they don't, you're ok, if they do, you're ok.

HLaB said:
Somebody on the forum suggested pseudo pedaling down hill (keeping the axles moving instead of freewheeling but not actually pushing). I've been doing this lately and it seems to be effective, along with correct road positioning in reducing the number of cars that pull out in front of me.

Keeping the pedals moving is a useful tip for when you're approaching a car waiting to pull out of a side road. Slow down while pedalling against the brakes: my theory is that if the driver sees you freewheeling he may assume you're slowing to let him out.

byegad

Legendary Member
I want to invest in a helmet camera before the inevitable happens. I use a series of lanes near home for pootling and generally enjoying the countryside. I have lost count of the number of overtakes on blind bends and blind crests. I really want a video of the inevitable head-on that must come. I'll particularly enjoy it at the trial!!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
byegad said:
I want to invest in a helmet camera before the inevitable happens. I use a series of lanes near home for pootling and generally enjoying the countryside. I have lost count of the number of overtakes on blind bends and blind crests. I really want a video of the inevitable head-on that must come. I'll particularly enjoy it at the trial!!

Ha, that's wishful thinking. The police won't bother to prosecute, because motorists aren't criminals and should be allowed their freedoms.

OP
OP
R

Robster

I've been cycling to work for about 5 months in total and have not really suffered any seriously ignorant driving until this week. I had another one this morning.

Going south on the A38 in gloucestershire, there's a right turn with a dedicated lane for turning off, so that cars going straight on don't need to slow down or stop if someone is waiting to turn off. I signalled and moved into the right-turn lane, and a car overtook me on the outside far too close when I was in the middle of the right-turn lane, and he wasn't even turning off!

Must be my lucky week!

LLB

Robster said:
I've been cycling to work for about 5 months in total and have not really suffered any seriously ignorant driving until this week. I had another one this morning.

Going south on the A38 in gloucestershire, there's a right turn with a dedicated lane for turning off, so that cars going straight on don't need to slow down or stop if someone is waiting to turn off. I signalled and moved into the right-turn lane, and a car overtook me on the outside far too close when I was in the middle of the right-turn lane, and he wasn't even turning off!

Must be my lucky week!

Was this the Rockhampton turn off ?

OP
OP
R

Robster

linfordlunchbox said:
Was this the Rockhampton turn off ?

No its the Berkeley turn off, a bit further north. I cycle between Cam & Dursley station and Berkeley, so I go on the A38 between the Slimbridge roundabout and said turnoff.

hackbike 6 said:
That's normal.
It is? I must have made that turn a hundred times, and its never happened before.

Top Bottom