I'm a better driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I think I've become a better driver since I started cycle commuting last summer.

Not that I was a bad driver in the first place. I've always been cautious and have had no accidents in over 16 years of motoring.

But, like most drivers, I often drive in auto-pilot. Because road cycling demands more alertness, planning, anticipation, I've found these carry through to my driving.

Anybody else experience this?

I won't bite.

I became a better cyclist after I got my driving licence. I understood how far ahead a driver needs to think, how much info a driver should be processing, how much they filter out, and how high-speed everything is.

I think so, but then it is hard to judge your own performance (oo-er!).

I think along with the other 99.99999% of drivers, I think I am abive average....:becool::smile:

It probably isn't 99.9% though.I have spoken to people who don't actually think they are good drivers.Myself i just hope im good enough to commute by bike for another 19 years.There does seem to be a load of know
It alls on here.You can't all be brilliant.

Also thinking you are good breeds complacancy.(spell it right for me someone)
The example being my job,being complacant breeds mistakes.whether there is a likeness between my job and car driving.I think so.

Norm

I cannot rate myself against anyone else but I am more aware of the issues facing cyclists which, I hope, helps me to interact with them.

This applies, of course, whether I am in a car, truck, tractor, motorbike or even cycling.

Lozatron

I've noticed a shocking tendency to try to maintain my speed up hills and to whizz between two slower moving vehicles, especially at roundabouts.

Need to watch myself!

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Adding experience should in theory make you better at something. My Driving improved drastically when I started riding a motor bike. Hazard awareness being a major part of that. Completing an advanced driving/pursuit course (Job) really starts to make a noticeable difference. Riding a bike day in day out adds a different perspective....However the important thing is taking those lessons and putting them into practice...100% of the time. Otherwise it can all come crashing down on the tarmac!

I happened to watch part of a programme on TV (More4 I think it was) last night, about gridlock and road rage. Anyone else see it? What struck me, was that each one of the aggressive plonkers (mostly men) featured on that programme, insisted "oh, I'm a good driver". One of the 'experts' explained: it's exactly like confessing you're no good in bed, no man (nor woman) will ever confess to being a bad driver. :laugh:

Seeing as, for a minority of male drivers, a car is actually a p*nis substitute, the analogy is maybe more accurate than at first sight. :ohmy:

Needless to say: the standard of driving featured in the programme was abominable.

'nuff said? :biggrin:

Me: I'm careful in what I say. Mostly I say "I'll let others be the judge". Some have complimented my driving. Some have criticised. That's about par.

Plax

Guru
I think I'm average. There will be other drivers out there better than me, and there'll be other drivers out there I'm better than. I think it is dangerous to think that you are an excellent driver, as this is the kind of attitude that causes over-confidence and leads to accidents. Usually that type of person thinks they are so good they aren't open to constructive critisism and therefore less likely to change their bad habits.

EvoII

I too think I'm more considerate to other road users since I started cycling.

I thought I was ok at driving until I went on a Rally day in a Welsh forest. I came last in our group and when the instructor took us round at the end of the day I was gob-smacked. That man could drive ! :ohmy:

I'm aware this has no bearing on road driving, but really demonstrated the superior skill of a pro driver, compared to me (Mr Average) :laugh:

Lurker

Norm said:
I cannot rate myself against anyone else but I am more aware of the issues facing cyclists which, I hope, helps me to interact with them.

This applies, of course, whether I am in a car, truck, tractor, motorbike or even cycling.

+1

Lurker

661-Pete said:
... Me: I'm careful in what I say. Mostly I say "I'll let others be the judge". Some have complimented my driving. Some have criticised. That's about par.

On what grounds do some compliment and some criticise your driving? - these might be completely different.

This raises the Q of what constitutes 'good' driving. For example, London taxi drivers know the width of their vehicles to the nearest mm, and as a result many will routinely overtake cyclists with mms to spare. That's not usually too much of a problem for experienced urban cyclists who share bus lanes with taxis - but I'd guess it's very scary for new/novice cyclists. It certainly can't encourage people to cycle, so although technically 'good' IMO such driving is in fact 'bad' driving. And should be treated as such by the authorities....

Top Bottom