I'm an RLJer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Where was this? Traffic seemed rather normal on my side of Pebble Mill last night.

Oh you are a naughty man ;).

For penance you should read edition one and edition two of of Cyclecraft and watch every one of my videos twice. After that you will be pure again.

:rolleyes:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Very harsh :rolleyes:

magnatom said:
Oh you are a naughty man ;).

For penance you should read edition one and edition two of of Cyclecraft and watch every one of my videos twice. After that you will be pure again.

:biggrin:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BURN HIM!!!.....BURN HIM!!

oh, sorry...broken light, that'll teach me to read to the end of a post.;)

The highlight of my ride home last night was spinning past two really long queue's of traffic in London and in Camberwell.

The second was a road closure due to a "serious " accident with a bus which left my section of road totally deserted...like a ghost town. It was a little surreal as this is usually one of the most congested sections of the ride and I was just poodling along, on the wrong side of the road with no cars in either direction...it was so quiet and a bit eerie.

The first was due to a defective temporary traffic light, which eventually turned green just as I approached, I didnt even have to unclip!!!

thomas

the tank engine
Of course, I only did it because the lights had stuck, and after sitting there for about 5 minutes while everyone looked at each other puzzled.

I wonder if they're all still sitting there?

Ages ago on my commute there were road works. Lights stayed red. Traffic would come the other way, then nothing, then come...and still the lights were red. A good couple of minutes had passed, and I'd just filtered past about a mile of stationary traffic so it obviously hadn't moved in a while.

I had a better look at the traffic light, and underneath was a poorly scribbled note "Lights don't work". Thanks a lot workmen!

When the traffic next stopped coming I decided to go...and pointed wildly and erratically to the note as I guessed the drive behind would just assumed I was being naughty.

He obviously then clocked it and gave me a big thank you wave as he passed....if it wasn't for me, they would still be sitting there ;)

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
A couple of weeks ago the temporary lights at Birmingham University were stuck. For a supposed bunch of intellectuals they were struggling a bit with what to do next.

I jumped that one at Bank the other week when that cabbie put my life in danger.

Sorry about that.

on the road

Über Member
And it was sooooo liberating. Filtering to the front of a very frustrated, long queue of drivers, several of who were bibbing at the cars in front of them. I slowly crept over the line, looked both ways carefully to make sure that I could get over the junction, and off I went.

Of course, I only did it because the lights had stuck, and after sitting there for about 5 minutes while everyone looked at each other puzzled.

It also meant that for the next couple of miles I only met about 4 cars on my side of the road.

I wonder if they're all still sitting there?
Have you been back since, I wonder if they're still sitting there? :biggrin:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
The strange thing is that they all caught up with me about 5 minutes later. Can't understand what could have been wrong with the lights for the timing to change temporarily like that. Unless someone in the control room pushed a button by mistake.

Happened to me here once. Traffic lights went through several phases, but failed to turn green for my route. Eventually someone barged past, and it seemed to sort out the problem - went green shortly afterwards.

on the road

Über Member
User3143 said:
Point me to the relevant piece of the RTA act please....
I'm sure you must be allowed to go through red if the lights are not working. What if you live on a cul-de-sac and the light's stuck on red?

I was in a queue behind a bus and a fire engine the other day - bus at the front, waiting at a light-controlled ped crossing in town for the lights to change to green.

Waiting. Waiting. Waiting some more... No peds pushing the buttons, but still the lights stayed red. By now, there was a decent queue of traffic with another bus the other side of the crossing also waiting...

Fascinated, I decided to sit it out (I could always get off and push the bike round on the pavement). After about 4-5 mins the lights decided to work and we all moved off. But it did make me wonder how long the bus driver would have waited.

Top Bottom