I'm back from the Norwegian Fjords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anthony

Hello everyone.

I have returned safely from my trip to Norway. Originally I was going to cycle all the way up to Nordkapp but for various reasons (such as weather, time and money) I changed my route and just toured the fjords.

I had a brilliant time, the views are out of this world. But it was the hardest cycling i've ever done and the weather was not that great. I'm in the process of writing my
journal on crazyguy, i've got most of it done so I won't write a full report here. I urge you to have a look because the scenery in Norway is amazing.

I would just like to says thanks to anyone on the forum that helped me out with info before I left it, was most useful.

Anthony.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Great, we look forward to seeing the photos... ;)

willem

Über Member
Great pictures of what must have been a great trip. I recognize the atmosphere, since I toured there early in July. I must say you were carrying an enormous load - how much was it? I had a bar bag, two rear panniers, and a larger tent than yours (Helsport Rondane 3) on top of the rack. The total luggage weight including the weight of the panniers was 18 kg, of which some 2.5 kg was because of bad/cold weather gear that I did not need in the end, but would take again next time. Coming back I calculated that apart from the bad weather gear that I would take again I could have saved about 4 kg by leaving some more stuff at home, and getting lighter gear. Norway is a tall order, because the climbs can be murderous, and at the same time you need extra gear for bad/cold weather.
Your pictures make me long to go back.
Willem

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

Great pictures of what must have been a great trip. I recognize the atmosphere, since I toured there early in July. I must say you were carrying an enormous load - how much was it? I had a bar bag, two rear panniers, and a larger tent than yours (Helsport Rondane 3) on top of the rack. The total luggage weight icluding the weight of the panniers was 18 kg, of which some 2.5 kg was because of bad/cold weather gear that I did not need in the end, but would take again next time. Coming back I calculated that apart from the bad weather gear that I would take again I could have saved about 4 kg by leaving some more stuff at home, and getting lighter gear. Norway is a tall order, because the climbs can be murderous, and at the same time you need extra gear for bad/cold weather.
Your pictures make me long to go back.
Willem

I did take a lot of gear, too much in hindsight. I probably could have left a few kgs back at home. A lesson learnt for next time.

betty swollocks

large member
Thanks for sharing.
Loved the pics, esp the ones looking down on the switchbacks!

Jakey Rowling

Wow...what hills! My sister lives in Norway and so I was thinking of making it the destination for my first foreign tour...but looking at your photos I'm thinking maybe Holland would be better for me!

rualexander

Legendary Member
Great photos. My first ever foreign cycle tour was ten days from Bergen to Andalsnes via Geiranger and the Trollstigen, fantastic country. I particularly remember the mid-fjord transfer from one ferry to another, walking across a gangplank (actually I'm not even sure there was a gangplank, might just have been a big step across) carrying my bike with visions of losing it to the depths of the fjord! My second foreign tour was to Iceland including crossing the interior. Once you've got Norway and Iceland out of the way most places are pretty easy cycling!

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

Great photos. My first ever foreign cycle tour was ten days from Bergen to Andalsnes via Geiranger and the Trollstigen, fantastic country. I particularly remember the mid-fjord transfer from one ferry to another, walking across a gangplank (actually I'm not even sure there was a gangplank, might just have been a big step across) carrying my bike with visions of losing it to the depths of the fjord! My second foreign tour was to Iceland including crossing the interior. Once you've got Norway and Iceland out of the way most places are pretty easy cycling!

Seems like I followed quite a bit of your route. If you can hack the hills it's hard to find a better place to cycle. I think next time though I will opt for a sunnier climate.
Two of my friends are cycling Iceland at the moment (going around route 1), perhaps I'll have to put that on my to do list.

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

Wow...what hills! My sister lives in Norway and so I was thinking of making it the destination for my first foreign tour...but looking at your photos I'm thinking maybe Holland would be better for me!

It is a great place to tour. Don't let the hills put you off, the reward and satisfaction comes at the top when you have amazing panoramic views and a 10 minute speedy descent to follow.

Top Bottom