I'm back home.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
After six days in hospital, the blood test results indicated that I could use orally delivered antibiotics instead of IV delivered ones so I was despatched home with a large box of cocodomol and 500mg capsules of antibiotics. I'd had Tramadol issued on three occasions but sadly my current pain needs didn't warrant it being included in my drugs package.

The hospital stay was interesting to say the least. And I saw how the NHS has to cope with patients whose ailments were self inflicted i.e. drug/alcohol abuse, weird i.e. get admitted as an in patient despite there not really being a clinical case for it and then kicking off when they are told that the stay is only one one instead of the expected three. And those whose apparently mild symptoms masked some pretty serious ailments.

The doctors and nurses on the whole were an amazing team coping with very challenging circumstances in an unflappable manner.

I was known as 'a lodger' - I was moved from the correct ward at three o'clock in the morning on the second night to a cardio-thoracic ward. I was with three patients whose post operative conditions were quite serious but were well on the way to recovery and I was humbling to have them express shock, horror and sympathy when they saw the asymmettry that my legs presented as I hobbled off to the toilet by the ward entrance.

It didn't take too long before I discovered the ability to emulate Tracey Island with the remote control for my bed. A fart league organically emerged during my stay and I am proud to say that I as the winner on loudness and toxicity criteria.

The highpoint was witnessing the ejection by security of the jumped up arrogant little git who'd 'paid his taxes and NHS contributions for the past sixty years'so who f&%k were they to tell him he couldn't stay or f$%king swear the bunch of useless cnuts'. They just happened to be two PC.s and three security guards.

The low point was hearing a houseman tell a 78 year old man at 1:30 in the morning without the security of his family to support him, that the results of the scans were back and that his breathlessness was due to lung cancer and that his recent forgetfulness was due to the spread of the lung cancer to his brain - subtle or what? The poor sod was then subjected to attempts to insert a catheter and an anal probe to try to find out if there was a physiological reason for the catheter difficulties. I can't imagine that the patient was particularly happy with his treatment.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Vernon - whoa, what was the hospital stay for? Sounds major- I hope you're ok

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Looking at some of Vernon's recent posts it sounds as if he's suffered a nasty leg infection...

Anyway, glad you're home Vernon and get well soon, am sure a few pies will help speed you along the road to recovery :thumbsup:

TVC

Yep, Get well soon.

Was it a pie induced injury?

We want details.

On a more serious note, on my stay in hospital after my collision I came across a couple of patients that made me deeply admire the skills of the nursing staff and also wish that I never had to get really old. Very depressing.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Details,

a week last Saturday I pedaled up to Darlington from Leeds, caught a train home, had supper, watched casualty and retired to bed hale and hearty.

Sunday, I woke with a headache and within 20 mins I was shivering. Felts shite all day.

Mon morning rang for an appointment at the health centre. Between making the appointment and getting there five hours later, my lower left leg had started to swell and ache. Doc dismissed headaches, shakes and the 5hits as a viral infection but diagnosed cellulititis and gave me industrial strength antibiotics and asked to see me on Thursday morning.

Despite antibiotics, the swelling grew so did the pain to such an extent that I cancelled the appointment on Thursday morning and had a house call. I could only just get down stairs. The doc looked t the leg and arranged to have me admitted to St James for intravenous antibiotics at 4 x the oral dosage rate.

The swelling grew further in hospitall and extends up past my knee and into my lower thigh (thighs....there's a separate tale to be told about thighs but it will keep.

Blood trsts show that the infection has subsided and IV no longer needed hence my discharge home today.

It really is weird feeling ok apart from one part of the body which is giving me hell.

As for pie related information:

• I'd eaten a Bothams of Whitby pork pie on Saturday and once the frequent toilet visits started, I thought that I might have pie poisoning. Ringing my pal in Darlington who's also eaten a Bothams pie was hale and hearty. Phew - faith in pies restored.
  • Friday at work is pie day. To ensure that I didn't miss out Mrs Vernon brought a pie in on the Friday pic pending

On the recovery front:
  • My hobble is developing into a limp.
  • I can get out of bed unassisted without screaming.
  • I'm having liver and onions tomorrow
  • I no longer salivate at the sound of the tea trolley - I was surprised at the speed of institutionalisation.
  • Tomorrow is laxative day - two dumps since last Wednesday is not good. Haven't eaten much since last Monday but I'd like to confirm that my colon works.

Off to bed now. Thirty mins at the computer is about the limit for comfort before needing to recline.

Thanks for you kind wishes folks.

They will be repaid by pictures of pies once I am mobile enough to make them.

PS. The high point was not as stated in the original post but is connected to thighs..........

Paladin - York

Thought it had been quiet - your style conspicuous by its absence.

Impressed with your Blazing Saddles re-enactment and welcome back from the other side.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Thought it had been quiet - your style conspicuous by its absence.

Impressed with your Blazing Saddles re-enactment and welcome back from the other side.

My wife thought that I was joking when I told her. My fellow contestants proudly verified that the competition had taken place and was an ongoing one but only in the absence of their own wives.... :tongue:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Crikey! what a horrible thing!

Get well soon
smile.gif

postman

Legendary Member
My it all happens on the otherside of the street.Hope you get well soon Vernon.Can i help with anything shopping or owt'.I will pm you with our phone number.All the best.

Shaun

Founder
Cor blimey Vernon - hope you get well soon.

My sister-in-law's cellulitis has only just been properly disagnosed (after suffering with it, and watching it spread, for three weeks).

I've seen her pain and discomfort so definitely sympathise. Not nice at all.

Let's hope it doesn't interfere too much with your pie connoisseuring ... :thumbsup: ... and you're soon up and about and back to normal.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Top Bottom