I'm improving :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stainboy

Just to prove I wasn't using the forum as a revolving door I thought I'd update you with the fact that my bent wasn't just an expensive impulse buy that got left unused (it couldn't really, it spent a lot of time in the inside and was in the way) and I've been getting used to riding it. I'm actually a lot more confident with it on the road than I ever was a normal bike.

Last night I had to do a 9 mile round trip just to pick up a package, I pretended to be a car and had my phone's GPS guide me with the phone half up my glove and tied round my arm. Worked really well apart one one roundabout the GPS didn't know about but that was easily fixable. The guys at the depot all laughed when I was leaving and it was tell me to turn left, litterally into a parked car but everyone's always interested in the bike "that must be hard to ride" and I always say it's much more fun and less painful once you get used to it. I didn't think about this at the time but my wrists would have been killing me by now as they always used to hurt on a mountain bike and I might have got back problems again.

I got beeped by a car for being in the right lane of a dual carraige way as he undertook me, but I WAS TURNING RIGHT, where else was I meant to be? I think I was in the right place anyway. There was a cycle path on that road but it would have had me trapped on the left and for some reason I don't like them, they unnerve me like I'm trying to walk a tight rope and I swear they make me wobble more. I'm also handling roundabouts really well, they were daunting at first but I've gotten used to sticking an arm out to signal and keeping control.

And I'm gradually getting better at not steep hills (there arn't many, this IS norfolk) but slight one, even from standstill, and I can push off with both feet.

Unfortunately my poor bent has to live outside now but it's well pretected between the building and the bins and chained to a big pipe. It also has a proper motorbike cover that's like a little tent for it. The first cover was useless but only £4 so who cares, even the front light ripped a whole in that.

And I've seen one parked at uni that by the place it's parked must belong to a member of staff, I really want to know who that is!

BenM

Veteran
Glad to hear that you are getting on ok with the 'bent.

Riding a 'bent just gets better even though the silly comments from startled drivers/pedestrians don't get any less frequent. I suspect it has to do with the fear/fright/flight reaction... a 'bent pushing the observer uncomfortably close to the fear/fright boundary makes them want to do something to relieve their internal tension so abuse helps relax them :smile: I just laugh along with them.

B.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Glad to hear that you are getting on ok with the 'bent.

Riding a 'bent just gets better even though the silly comments from startled drivers/pedestrians don't get any less frequent. I suspect it has to do with the fear/fright/flight reaction... a 'bent pushing the observer uncomfortably close to the fear/fright boundary makes them want to do something to relieve their internal tension so abuse helps relax them :smile: I just laugh along with them.

B.

Although I think you get way more positive remarks on a 'bent. You get the brainless "worororororooorrrooooora!" stuff on any bike, whereas on the 'bent you often get 'cool bike!'.

Well done Stainboy - you seem to be doing brilliantly. You're quite right about positioning, so don't let some daft poo-for-brains tell you otherwise. Obviously, be alert (do you have mirrors? they really help to see what's happening behind you), and don't let over-assertiveness put you in danger, but assertiveness is what you need - and negotiation -make eye contact whenever you can, and if you use mirrors, then don't forget the lifesaver check over your shoulder anyway. In fact a 'dummy' glance can help, even if you mostly rely on the mirrors for information - that glance tells a following driver that you might be about to move right.

As for your mystery 'bent at Uni, there are a few Norwich/Norfolk based 'bent riders on here I think, it might even be one of them!

byegad

Legendary Member
The ones who shout from a passing car get treated to my 'dangerous looney' act. I wave madly for far too long while smiling and laughing like a maniac. :biggrin:

The ones who shout from a passing car get treated to my 'dangerous looney' act. I wave madly for far too long while smiling and laughing like a maniac. :biggrin:
hi glad your enjoying riding a bent , just got one myself a streetmachine GTE 2nd hand , it def a learning curve but do enjoy the challenge , so hopefully when the weather break will be up the local park falling off again lol

NickM

Veteran
...the silly comments from startled drivers/pedestrians don't get any less frequent. I suspect it has to do with the fear/fright/flight reaction... a 'bent pushing the observer uncomfortably close to the fear/fright boundary makes them want to do something to relieve their internal tension so abuse helps relax them :smile: I just laugh along with them.
I find that yelling "Tosser!" as I disappear down the road adds to the jollity :biggrin:

No, not really... it's a waste of time to engage with riff-raff

Me68gan

Hi stainboy

I know this comment is years later & you may not even see it but I really wanted to ask you a question.

I am unfit (hence weak legs) & my feet aren't in the best shape (one arthritic big toe metatarsal & possible plantar fasciitis).
I am curious to find out from you how long/difficult it was for you to build up fitness and distances you were able to cover?

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Hi stainboy

I know this comment is years later & you may not even see it but I really wanted to ask you a question.

I am unfit (hence weak legs) & my feet aren't in the best shape (one arthritic big toe metatarsal & possible plantar fasciitis).
I am curious to find out from you how long/difficult it was for you to build up fitness and distances you were able to cover?

I started cycling as I couldn't play squash or run due to knee cartilage wear. A year on a 'normal' bike built up enough muscle to alleviate most of the pain. Then I went 'bent', and within 4 weeks I could ride just as fast/far as on a regular bike. If you get out most days, it's amazing how quick you can get the 'bent legs. I've been doing the 24 mile round trip commute for 5 years now, the last 4 on various recumbents.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Which recumbent do you ride?

I find that yelling "Tosser!" as I disappear down the road adds to the jollity :biggrin:

No, not really... it's a waste of time to engage with riff-raff

Had one at a set of Traffic lights... leaning out of the window ranting in front of his mates

Looked him straight in the eye and in a very sow and deliberate voice said -- "Sorry, I am deaf and cannot hear you - could you slow down and speak more clearly so I can lip read"

He did!

Let him rant again, then did the "Sorry you don't appear to be making any sense, you need to speak slower"

His mates found it hilarious

Nothing atm, just trying to find advice before thinking of buying
First you need to decide do you want to go for a 2 or a 3 wheel bent.
2 wheel bents are faster but you do have a learning curve when you first get one which make them harder initially.
3 wheel bents are slower but no real learning curve when you get on one. Plus you can gear them down a lot lower to make hills easier.

You really need to try out various models to see if one suits you.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I used to have a Bacchetta Giro 26 but couldnt get on with it. It was too high off the floor for me. I still want a bent but something like an Optima Baron.

Top Bottom