I'm just a big softie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
This evening I called round to my colleague's home to see his week old daughter. I was given her to hold and she was a little bundle of perfection. She was comfortable with me as she quickly settled and went to sleep on me for half an hour or so. I felt all paternal and protective. My young colleague and his wife got a lot of entertainment from the contrast in size between me and little Olivia.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Holding a baby is a reminder of how close we are to other primates. All that stuff about civilisation just melts away, and the enjoyment of being a protective mammal kicks in. Good stuff.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Are you sure she wasn't just bored, Vern?

No, seriously though, I will never for get my first moments alone with my tiny baby son, I sat there with the emotions washing over me.... I'm having a "Nick Clegg" moment as I type this.....

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
My friend's two year old is daft enough to think I'm great and I go all gooey when she says my name or stands up and claps when I walk into their house. She's been through a lot for her age, she's smaller than several one year olds, and is only just starting to speak, thanks to glue ear. So the fact that she's worked out how to say my name means something extra.

And ... all the times I've changed her nappy, she's only once left me something unpleasant. Though I'm babysitting tomorrow
ohmy.gif

I stayed at home to look after my son during his baby snuggly years (with me - he probably has his own idea about 'snuggly' now!) and I used to rock him to sleep whilst watching Neighbours at lunchtime. We were present at the first episode in 1986 and Maria and Daphne vied for my attention during his slumber. :rolleyes: There is something reassuringly special about a child asleep in one's arms.
I got the hump a bit as he grew, because the afternoon naps disappeared, and he soon became better than me at Lego :smile:

Good stuff vern. Also, I don't know if you have seen the post (in your capacity as pie expert), but coffeejo has a friend with an interesting taste in pies.
Maybe you can offer guidance in your capacity as Galameister?

Here's the post: No 5250 et seq on this thread. Have a 'butchers'! :smile:

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Good stuff vern. Also, I don't know if you have seen the post (in your capacity as pie expert), but coffeejo has a friend with an interesting taste in pies.
Maybe you can offer guidance in your capacity as Galameister?

Here's the post: No 5250 et seq on this thread. Have a 'butchers'! :smile:

It just so happens that I left the doting parents with some of Bradfords' finest pork pies for their tea along with other fine comestibles.

Coffejoe hats off to you cycling out to buy pie. You'd have my total respect if you modified your mission to ride out and eat pie. None have ever survived the journey home when I've been on such a mission.

I'm sure I could generate a 100km DIY Audax with at least four pie stops at venues that could double as control points.

Back to Olivia I still feel a tad gooey thinking about her.

The advent of the 'Piedax' is nigh. :rolleyes:

I 'went' vegetarian in 1984, but I would probably 'revert' on one of your expeditions, vern! :smile:

(Anyway... details, details... did you read on from coffeejo's first post on pies? Her friend shows promise. :eek:

The second time I met Chuffy (on the Dun Run) he presented me with a pork pie as a token of his affection.

Far more powerful than oysters ;)

Oh no - not another 'legs turn to jelly moment!'

(Sorry Baggy, but every time I hear a pie mention, my thoughts turn to jelly. vernon did explain the niceties one time but I forget...) (OK for you two though :wub: - excellent!)

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
This evening I called round to my colleague's home to see his week old daughter. I was given her to hold and she was a little bundle of perfection.

Yep, holding someone else's baby is perfection - you can hand them back before you go home - perfect :tongue:

Top Bottom