I'm no longer a cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

After this weekend for the next 6+ months I will longer be a cyclist. My last remaining bike is due to be sold/collected this Saturday. I'm absolutely devistated at being forced to quit riding.

So what the heck do I do now??
What do you do when you're not cycling??

montage

God Almighty
:sad: Awful news. You say for the next 6 months? So it isn't permanent?
I've been off the bike about a year, and it has driven me mad...but I have survived hoping I will cycle again. Are there any other sports you can do? You definately need a replacement - maybe something you have always wanted to try on a whim

After this weekend for the next 6+ months I will longer be a cyclist. My last remaining bike is due to be sold/collected this Saturday. I'm absolutely devistated at being forced to quit riding.

So what the heck do I do now??
What do you do when you're not cycling??

:sad:

Red, is this because of your ankle injury? Will it not get better with time? Why are you selling all of your bikes?:sad:

Actually, thinking about this. I've been in exactly the same situation. I used to be judo mad. I'd practice twice a week and loved it. Just when it was going really well (doing well competitively at the time as well) I hurt my knee. It turned out I ruptured my ACL (one of the main ligaments in the knee).

To get back on the mat properly I needed surgery to give me a 'new ACL'.

The recovery from surgery was 9 months, and that was how long I stayed off the mat. However, rather than get upset about it, I decided that the countdown clock had started. No matter how bad any day felt, no matter how bad the knee felt (and sometimes it did feel like it was going backwards) each day was a day closer to when I would get back on the mat. Each day was a day closer to full recovery.

I kept involved (i.e. I did my physio at the gym in the building where the judo was, at the same time, and it became a challenge to get back, fitter than I was before I went off.

It worked. :smile: Well, sort off. I never got fully back to pre-injury (you never do with knees though) and I eventually retired a few years later. However, I had a lot of fun being back on the mat and my retiral was my decision.

So, take control. Today is the first day of your recovery, and one day closer to the day you will be back on the bikes!

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Red, is this because of your ankle injury? Will it not get better with time? Why are you selling all of your bikes?:sad:

Yes, this is because of my ankle injury. It will get better in time but its going to take a while. I would be up for murder if I thought I was never going to be able to cycle or run again.

There's several reasons behind the sale of the bikes.

Top of the list is I need the money.

My bikes have somehow all become fixed wheel or single speed (even the MTBs.) When I do return to cycling I will need to buy a bike with gears anyway.

If the bikes there then I can't resist trying to go out riding so I need to remove the temptation!

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

:sad: Awful news. You say for the next 6 months? So it isn't permanent?
I've been off the bike about a year, and it has driven me mad...but I have survived hoping I will cycle again. Are there any other sports you can do? You definately need a replacement - maybe something you have always wanted to try on a whim

Anything that doesn't involve walking too far, running etc.
Thankfully it isn't permanet. Its just going to take a few months to get things sorted out.

rh100

Keep your mind active - how about a course with the Open University or nearby college? What interests you? Could you do with any certifications for work or a career change even?

My sympathies Redbike. Could you go down to a local gym to see what activities would not aggravate your injury? I know nothing about it (possibly too much ankle movement) and it would drive me round the proverbial, what about rowing?

Top Bottom