I'm not sure if I like my mtb anymore.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadrunner78

Well recently I picked up an old orbit romany racer/tourer? It didn't cost me much but it's a beaut! Loads of modern parts and a Reynolds 531st frame.

Anyhoo. Ever since I can't get on with my mtb. It's a kona explosif. I've worn out 2 cassetes so I do like it but... It's the low rolling resistance, the lightness. The Romany was converted to a flat bar machine by it's last owner so it feels normal to me, as opposed to the drop bars which I'm not a fan of.

I'm not sure if I should sell the kona and get a shiny new racer/hybrid. Every time I take the
Kona out, I'm energetic for a start then I feel the weight and wasted energy. I don't think semi slicks would be enough. What's a 04/05 Kona explosif in used nick worth?

battered

Guru
Virtually nothing. Keep it for the pub.

EDIT - Actually it's further up the range than I thought but ig you've used it enough to wear out 2 cassettes then nothing else will be original, so it depends on the state it's in. The frame's worth about £200, if good, and you probably wouldn't get much more for the complete bike. Sorry.

OP
OP
Roadrunner78

Roadrunner78

Ye I kinda thought that'd be the case.

In all honesty it's in great shape. It's been well maintained with no cheapie replacement parts. It's been polished regular as well. I look after my bikes.

do you ride it off road at all? - keep it

what is happening is you are riding the MTB as though it were the tourer and so you are wearing yourself out quicker.

you need to ease off on the pedaling and use the gears to allow a similar legspin speed as you use on the tourer - this works for me when I switch from my race bike (6spd) to my singlespeed mtb, to a friends touring bike, to a friends geared mtb

having not ridden for the best part of a year, i'm not particulally fit either

Globalti

Legendary Member
My MTB, a beautiful Global titanium hardtail, is also gathering dust in the garage. I probably haven't done more than 100 miles on it this year but I've done nearly 2000 miles on the road bike.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Not sure this is appropriate if you don't commute on either machine, but out of road bike/Brompton/road-friendlied MTB, the MTB gives me the fastest point to point commute.

This is because more of the roads I use have recently had speed humps laid, and the MTB is the only bike I can throw over them at 25mph.

Just worth considering keeping the MTB if you commute on potholed or humped roads…

…mind you, the roads in Scotland are way better than in London.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
But...but...you'd have to change your tag - and your avatar. Is it really worth the hassle? You haven't thought this through have you...

…mind you, the roads in Scotland are way better than in London.

We have potholes in Glasgow that buses disappear down
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
Roadrunner78

Roadrunner78

I dunno, maybe I'll convert it to a single speed and have fun on it.

My work commute is only 1.7 miles and good condition roads, and my avatar and user name is a problem :smile:. Hey 3 bikes wouldn't be a bad thing would it? (checks over shoulder for wife) :smile:.

Top Bottom