I'm starting to feel smug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The car drivers are starting to feel the pressure at work. I had to dig my car out, it was -10 today and I got a little bit cold scraping my car, I had a major accident because of the snow - I scraped my wheel trim on the curb. Moan, moan, moan.

I'm waiting for the first one to phone in and say they can't get into work because of the weather. This happened last year and they only lived a few miles from work.

So, I am starting to feel a bit smug about getting in to work by bike. All I say to them is 'what's the problem the weather is not too bad yet.

I hate to say this but I can't wait for the weather to get even worse. I just love this sort of winter.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Wednesday, cycling through 15 inches of snow to get out to the main road and then 6 inches of snow on the main roads and drifting round all the bends, I'd really wish I'd had a camera and the totally empty roads of cars and hundreds of people walking along the road.

Bayerd

Über Member
All I say to them is 'what's the problem the weather is not too bad yet.

I hate to say this but I can't wait for the weather to get even worse. I just love this sort of winter.

Don't feel too smug, much as it feels great to ride in this weather, you won't win with colleagues. They don't understand that really it's much easier than it looks. You're certainly not going to tell them that, and then comes the day when you're the only one there because nobody else could get in.

Best thing to do is play the same game the rest play, ring in and say you can't get in because of the snow, then head off on a ride where you'd like to go instead of where you must go.............

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
The car drivers are starting to feel the pressure at work. I had to dig my car out, it was -10 today and I got a little bit cold scraping my car, I had a major accident because of the snow - I scraped my wheel trim on the curb. Moan, moan, moan.

I'm waiting for the first one to phone in and say they can't get into work because of the weather. This happened last year and they only lived a few miles from work.

So, I am starting to feel a bit smug about getting in to work by bike. All I say to them is 'what's the problem the weather is not too bad yet.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I too know that smug feeling. It' satisfying when I get home in 45 mins, but it would take over 50 mins if I used the car, when I fliter to the front at the lights, when I go into town for something without having to find and pay for parking, but the smug-o-meter recently hit 10 when I rode past cars stuck in the snow.

al78

Guru
This was the state of the roads that I commute on earlier in the week.

I found this hard going even with studded tyres, due to the bikes tendency to twitch sideways every time I came across a slight rut. At one point I had to push as I didn't have the strength to pedal up a steep hill through six inches of powder snow.

On the plus side, I only saw three cars in seven miles as to get to the roads in question requires going uphill for a kilometer which was out of the question for anyone without a 4x4 or winter tyres/chains.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG