immobilise.com vs bikeregister.com

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The London police are stopping commuters, stencilling serial numbers on your bikes and taking your details to register your bike in case it gets stolen. I did this in January, even though I'm already registered on immobilise. Of course, they couldn't link it to my original account, so now I have two. If my partners bike gets stencilled, that's a 3rd account we'd have.

So, as I say, in January I got stencilled, and got an email with my immobilise.com details. Yesterday I received another email telling me I'm signed up with bikeregister.com. Definitely from the same event as I use unique email addresses (in this case, met@...). Why am I registered on a second site? Anyone know what is going on here? It feels like the police are selling my email address and details. Do I really need to record my bicycle at multiple sites to keep it safe?

joan

Immobilise

Hi Joan, The Immobilise National Property Register isintegrated closely with Police systems on a national basis (via the NMPR andrecently PNC), providing you with the best chance of your bike being identifiedif it is recovered by police following loss or theft at any point. I cannotspeak on behalf of the MET (who are an active supporter of the Immobilisesystem), however as with all police forces unfortunately there can sometimes be a fragmentedapproach to crime reduction so it could just be that a particular borough has decidedto do something different? When you took part in the registration the officersshould have informed you what they were going to do with the data, as sharingit with anyone outside of the police force requires your permission. If youhave queries about Immobilise please see www.immobilise.com/about.html orcontact us by emailing support@immobilise.com.

doily

The police did mine the other week on Blackfriars bridge, and told me it would be registered with immobilise. They put a sticker on my bike. It was only later I noticed the sticker said "this bike is registered with bikeregister.com". I've just got an email from immobilise with my login detaiils, but have heard nothing from bikeregister.

Top Bottom