Improving cycle facilties at work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Number14

Veteran
Following a couple of complaints from clients :whistle: who thought the current cycle facilities were inadequate (wheel bender rack which isn't bolted to anything, tucked around the back of the building and out of sight of the cctv :cry:) my general manager has told me to get some quotes for a decent storage facility to go out the front of the building in the middle of the car park :wahhey:opposite the main entrance.

Massive result. :biggrin: Would love a Josta double rack but won't be able to justify £5000+, I reckon he'll have kittens on Monday when he's presented with a £2500 quote for 5 Sheffield stands and overhead protection.

corshamjim

Well done! If your workplace is anything like mine, parking places (for cars) are in very short supply. I think my employer feels that any money spent on cycle parking is money well spent if it reduces the demand for car spaces a bit (it does). It's a shame they haven't extended that thinking to reintroducing the bike purchase scheme, but well hey, can't have everything. :rolleyes:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I am trying to get work to install a filter light for cyclists using the mandatory cycle path to exit work that crosses a traffic light.

I was nearly killed the other day....

Came to work exit, the traffic is topped and the light is on red so i start across and the light goes amber so the cars all start off and i have to bunny hop onto the verge after taking a detour to avoid running over.

I have raised it to HR and asked that we have a light linked to the traffic lights like a crossing light.

Edit it is a private comapny owned light as it is a long slip road to the main exit with multiple car parks.

map link pre cycle path markings

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
See if the local council or CTC/ similar will help fund for this, will certainly make your boss happy if you can reduce the price ;)

Brains

Legendary Member
I'd be inclined to go in high, give him the full monty price and then say, but then say "we can get this one cheaper......" otherwise if he sees the lower price one he is going to be looking for cheaper options.

Also bike parking is only part of the deal, what about showers, lockers, etc

Jezston

Über Member
How big is your company, and what do they do?

I wouldn't have thought £2,500 would send many managers screaming. You can spend more than that on a laptop.

OP
OP
Number14

Number14

Veteran
I'd be inclined to go in high, give him the full monty price and then say, but then say "we can get this one cheaper......" otherwise if he sees the lower price one he is going to be looking for cheaper options.

Also bike parking is only part of the deal, what about showers, lockers, etc

It's a private hospital, showers in physio and theatres. If they're in use then there are 51 ensuite patient rooms and they're never all occupied :whistle:. Ironing board and iron in my office so don't have to worry about crumpled suit/uniform. Washing machine and tumble dryer available for those really wet/dirty commutes. Breakfast is usually ordered on the way to the shower and ready when I come out :biggrin:. Is there anything else I should be asking for :unsure:?

Just need to find someone to delegate all my work to and I'll have it sorted ......

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
If you can get your company signed up as a "Cycle Friendly Employer" (you get inspected and will have to get a minimum number of ticks in boxes), you can bid for a couple of £K for further improvements at your workplace, e.g. towards lockers, showers, parking ...
And you get a shiny certificate to display at the reception. I just managed to get it for my workplace. :thumbsup:

A google search will find the right organisation for your part of the country, mine was with Cycling Scotland.

Good luck with your efforts! Having CLIENTS asking for facilities is a winner, counts much more than employees :rolleyes: .

T

Top Bottom