Improving road safety for pedestrians & cyclists...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Department for Transport: Improving road safety for pedestrians and cyclists in Great Britain

Publication date: 08 May 2009
HC: 437
ISBN: 780102954791

cover0809437.jpg

http://www.nao.org.uk/publications/0809/improving_road_safety_for_ped.aspx

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
And a link to the bbc report on it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8038661.stm

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the full report is well worth reading.
- 20mph zones backed up by humps reduce cycling casualties by 29% and pedestrian casualties by 63%
- the pedestrians most at risk are those under 15 and those over 70 years of age (of course all of the civil servants and politicians responsible for road safety are over the age of 15 and under the age of 70)
- cycling deaths are on the increase, (but not in London where cycling is increasing)
- cyclists are more likely to be killed in the countryside (which, given the way people drive in the countryside, is hardly a surprise)

there's some surprising odd statistics in here - comparing cycling deaths per 100,000 population makes little sense - comparing cycling deaths per kilometre cycled, or per cyclist would make more sense.

But, notwithstanding, well worth reading. And it would be really interesting to hear from people who had personal experience of the case studies.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It mentions the media campaign "Think" to change beliefs and attitudes of road users, including pedestrians and cyclists.

Has there been any Think campaigns aimed at either cyclists or other road uses to be aware of cyclists? I can think of the motorcycle one.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
summerdays said:
It mentions the media campaign "Think" to change beliefs and attitudes of road users, including pedestrians and cyclists.

Has there been any Think campaigns aimed at either cyclists or other road uses to be aware of cyclists? I can think of the motorcycle one.

I can't recall one either.

Tony

I was told this was on the news, with a CTC rep involved, but couldn't catch it. My immediate thought was "oh dear, compulsory farcilty use"
I look forward to being proved wrong!

Top Bottom