In mourning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve H

Large Member
I bought my first road a few months ago. A Trek 2.1 Triple. Loved it. Much faster and smoother to ride than my ageing Halfords mtb.

But disaster has struck. Not really sure what happened. I was climbing a fairly gentle hill when all of a sudden I came to a sudden standstill. The rear mech had somehow got caught in the spokes of the wheel and had twisted all the way up to the top.

I got off and tried to fix, but it was too firmly wedged in. One of the spokes had broken and another looked pretty bust.

I've taken it into the LBS where I bought it for a repair. They were a bit busy at the time, so I dropped it off so they could look at it properly when quieter. The guy from the shop called me - he said that the damage was pretty bad - he said it had broken the frame as well. He said he was going to send it back to Trek as they couldn't figure out what had caused it. He wasn't certain, but he said he hoped Trek would replace the frame.

So I'm feeling a bit miserable now. Been out on the mtb this week, but it's not the same. Hope Trek replace it for me otherwise I'm well out of pocket!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think the question is - 'Did it fall or was it pushed?' I.e. did you accidentally overshift the rear mech into the rear wheel because the endstop wasn't set correctly and that caused the damage, including that to the frame, or did the frame fail first, and that led to all the other damage?

I've seen the same kind of thing happen many times, though usually the frame has survived. It's always been due to the endstop. Sysagent had it happen on a couple of forum rides at the end of last year.

My rear wheel suffered a broken spoke on last year's forum ride to Blackpool, as a result of undiagnosed damage caused when my mate's rear mech went into the wheel when he was its previous owner.

I fear that you may be out of luck and the endstop wasn't set correctly. Hopefully, it was just a random frame failure but I reckon that's unlikely. Good luck!

Gixxerman

Guru
Sound like the rear mech overshifted into the rear wheel.
Does it have the plastic disk (known as a pie plate) in the rear wheel to stop the chain going over the largest cog on the cassette and into the spokes?
These might look geeky, but they do stop this from happening.
However, if the gears were setup correctly, the chain should not have overridden the largest cog.
If this is what happened then the LBS might be at fault for not setting it up correctly.

One thing I always emphasise to children is that bikes must be laid on the ground (if you dare to do such a horrible thing) with the chain/gears uppermost. A couple of years ago a lad did otherwise, picked up the bike, jumped on and rode off only to have the rear mech tangle with the spokes and destroy both wheel and gears. The endstop was correctly adjusted and the damage was caused solely by his carelessly placing the machine on the ground - expensive lesson!

OP
OP
Steve H

Steve H

Large Member
I think the question is - 'Did it fall or was it pushed?' I.e. did you accidentally overshift the rear mech into the rear wheel because the endstop wasn't set correctly and that caused the damage, including that to the frame, or did the frame fail first, and that led to all the other damage?

I wasn't actually shifting at the time. Been on the gradual climb coming out of Luddenden Foot up towards Halifax on the Burnley Road. Just plodding up the hill at a steady pace.

Sound like the rear mech overshifted into the rear wheel.
Does it have the plastic disk (known as a pie plate) in the rear wheel to stop the chain going over the largest cog on the cassette and into the spokes?

Yes it still had the plastic disk in place that is supposed to stop the over-shifting.

Thanks for the best wishes everyone.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not changing gear at the time, only a gentle hill, and the wheel had the protective disk in place - that sounds more promising in terms of a sudden frame failure leading to a warranty claim!

Gixxerman

Guru
Not changing gear at the time, only a gentle hill, and the wheel had the protective disk in place - that sounds more promising in terms of a sudden frame failure leading to a warranty claim!

I concur.

snailracer

Über Member
There are 2 types of pie plate.

The smaller ones prevent the chain from chewing the spokes if it slips off the largest cog.

The humongous ones prevent the rear mech from getting caught in the spokes. These are usually only fitted to bikes where the rear mech spring pulls towards the largest cog - if the shifter cable snaps/loosens AND your limit screw is set wrong, it will save the rear mech and wheel.

I like pie plates - you never know when someone might kick or accidentally bump your derailleur. That said, my current commuter doesn't have one - it weathered and cracked off after 10 years. Must find a replacment...

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Considering you weren't doing anything to misuse the bike, it would be strange for Trek not to replace the frame. Good luck and hope it's resolved soon. Let us know how you get on!

OP
OP
Steve H

Steve H

Large Member
I got an update today from the bike shop.

They reckon that a non-drive side spoke on the rear wheel either broke or came loose. This then got caught up in the chain and dragged it across into the wheel, gear mech and all. They think this caused the problem and led to the frame getting bust.

The shop said they'd had a bit of a disagreement with Trek about replacement, but that Trek are going to make a 'goodwill' gesture and replace the frame (thank goodness for that!) All being well I should be back on the road bike within a couple of weeks when the replacement frame arrives.

Top Bottom