In praise of Continental GP4000S

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I've ridden more than 1000km on Conti GP4000S tyres now (both 23mm and 25mm) and am really impressed.

I usually ride GP 4 Season but was seduced by the lighter/less rolling resistance claims of the 4000S and decided to give them a go with a view to PBP (where every little will help me ; ) ). I started with 23mm on my racer and the difference was sufficiently noticeable for me to put 25mm on my audax bike... and it's there that I really notice the difference.

I don't normally notice such things (I'm a bit of a heathen truth told) and I certainly don't buy into buzz words when describing things but these tyres do feel faster and lighter than the 4 Season... which is what Continental claim. Worded than badly didn't I? What I mean is that even I notice it! There is a significant difference in feel and the bike seems to spring off the road surface.

The only questions which remain for me are longevity and puncture resistance. So far, all looks good and there are no signs of excessive wear. These could be a tyre that suddenly goes off and punctures follow with a monotony from there on, some do that, but so far so good.

I suspect I will be putting the 4 Seasons back on for winter but for summer use the 4000S is a recommended tyre.

I am with you on the GP4000S. I had whatever I was given on my bike - Vittoria of some description I think and didn't expect to feel as much difference with these as I did. It was as if a little tiny bit of suspension had been added - the ride definitely felt softer. I rode them until I upgraded my bike (a new one) earlier this year for about 12 months and no unnecessary punctures to report I believe. The two I got were from a hole I didn't see and went straight into and a sharp stone I was too tired to react quickly enough to avoid.

Having upgraded they are now on the bike which will be winter use and happy to do so from that experience though I note your liking for the 4 season.

Top Bottom