In praise of...quill stems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

just jim

Threadless headsets are ugly, but we're stuck with them. Saw the steerer tube to the correct length or else. Get a special tool to install yer star fangled nut, do it yourself at your own risk, or pay someone to do it.

Quill stems are graceful, elegant, easy to adjust and remove.

Why have they disappeared from road bicycles?

raindog

er.....
Threadless headsets are ugly
Why?
I like the old system and the new, and have both on different bikes. The new headsets and stems are more logical in their design and easier to work with imo.

bobg

Über Member
I fully agree with you Jim. The safely factor is often trotted out but in about 45 years of riding I've never had a quill stem let me down. The little bit of extra weight is a big thing for some too. I have to admit that the ease of bar removal is a plus, but then I like bikes made from steel with crossbars not toptubes and as you might guess I dont "embrace change" regardless of what my employers were always telling me.

OP
OP
just jim

just jim

Why?
I like the old system and the new, and have both on different bikes. The new headsets and stems are more logical in their design and easier to work with imo.

Yes, I have both too. Aren't quill stems easy to work with? The adjustable versions are less pleasing on the eye, but also logical. Threadless stems seem almost brutish compared to a quill stem, and, well, that jangly bag of spacers ain't pretty.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, not all that often, no.
I can't say it's a topic I feel all that strongly about.
My SS (when I finish building it up) has a shiny new threaded headset :biggrin:

raindog

er.....
Threadless stems seem almost brutish compared to a quill stem, and, well, that jangly bag of spacers ain't pretty.
:biggrin:
I know what you mean by that jim, but built into a modern bike the new stems become a harmonious part of the whole, and I think the adjusting system is simple and elegant. And the "bag of spacers" don't jangle when everything's nipped up tight!
Best not to worry too much about it though.
As I said, I've got a gorgeous Italian quill on my steel bike and a beautifully made Deda on my "new" bike - love 'em both.

PpPete

Legendary Member
If only quill stems had made the transition to a 4-bolt front, so that bars could be removed without removing brakes, gears, light mount, computer mount, tape....

Unlike Bobg I've had a quill fail, but only after hitting a tall kerb whilst inebriated. The worrying thing is I only spotted it was broken the next morning!

OP
OP
just jim

just jim

:biggrin:
I know what you mean by that jim, but built into a modern bike the new stems become a harmonious part of the whole, and I think the adjusting system is simple and elegant. And the "bag of spacers" don't jangle when everything's nipped up tight!
Best not to worry too much about it though.
As I said, I've got a gorgeous Italian quill on my steel bike and a beautifully made Deda on my "new" bike - love 'em both.

Indeed, my point of view is more about comparing the aesthetics. Whilst not wanting to romanticise bicycles of the past, I think the "Hell of The North" ( documentary) era of bicycles had that kind of elegant simplicity.

I've turned into my dad!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
you have, Jim.

Quill stems were not so bad, and the failures more spoken of than observed. There's no denying they were more elegant. They'd look odd with straight forks though.......

raindog

er.....
Whilst not wanting to romanticise bicycles of the past, I think the "Hell of The North" ( documentary) era of bicycles had that kind of elegant simplicity.
Agree with that 100%
I grew up through the sixties and my early bikes were Mercians, and I think machines from that era still look class today. But I love the new technology too. Right, got to get changed and get out for a ride with my clunky modern stem. :biggrin:

briank

Quill are prettier (to my eye) but if you're spending loads of cash to get a bike light enough to get you up the Galibier, it would be strange to fit a heavier system than you have to.

Top Bottom