Incident near Oval Tube this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scouserinlondon

It didn't look too pretty this morning by Oval tube. There was a HGV tipper parked half way around the corner, all three emergency services and the ominous blue plastic sheeting up. I really hope it wasn't a fatality but the situation didn't look good.

Really made everybody slow down and give each other more space.

Jake

yes justabout to report this too, but you beat me to it.

Went past about 09.20, lots of blue tape and emergency viechles everywhere. Lorry still there. Did not want to get too close, but lots of voyers standing around or cycling, driving close up. I stayed away as was turning right anyway. Lots of paramedics standing around and medical equipment etc all over the place. Could not say if the "injured" was a pedestrian, a cyclist or what. Hope there is some good news later.

On way back to brixton hill, motorbike mashed up, guy was ok and could not see what he hit.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I loop around Kennington each morning and I heard lots of emergency vehicles at 8.30ish. I hope the person involved pulls through.

monkeyjo

My commute doesn't take me past there but my girlfriend was cycling past the Oval this morning at about 8ish. Apparently there was a female cyclist under a HGV. Didn't look good.

My girlfriend hasn't been commuting on her bike for too long, I think it scared her quite a bit.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If so...
is it me or are the majority of these sad cases of left hook fatalities with HGV's women?

monkeyjo said:
Apparently there was a female cyclist under a HGV. Didn't look good.

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

monkeyjo said:
My commute doesn't take me past there but my girlfriend was cycling past the Oval this morning at about 8ish. Apparently there was a female cyclist under a HGV. Didn't look good.

My girlfriend hasn't been commuting on her bike for too long, I think it scared her quite a bit.

It's certainly scared me and made me think. I'm always super careful around HGV and busses but just this morning I stupidly followed somebody through a gap I wouldn't normally go near, and seeing something like that really re-focuses the mind.

The HGV was half way around the corner with blue sheeting up on the passenger side so consistent with a left hook.

Hope the person survives.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
ianrauk said:
If so...
is it me or are the majority of these sad cases of left hook fatalities with HGV's women?
the great majority. And a majority of the trucks are construction traffic.

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

dellzeqq said:
the great majority. And a majority of the trucks are construction traffic.

Construction rigids and their drivers scare me. Tipper operators are often paid per load so have a tendency to drive faster than perhaps they should and are often over weight, a dangerous combination.

Also rigid tippers are quite High, with big wheels so even more likely not to see an undertaking cyclist.

monkeyjo

ianrauk said:
If so...

That's what I've heard. It was something about men being more likely to get ahead of traffic at a red light.

I know they're digging up the water mains on the way to the Oval, and traffic tends to be a bit hellish. My girlfriend had a 4x4 almost knock her over the other day near the Oval - it pulled left into the bus lane rather than wait for the car in front to turn right.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've come up to the Oval with the Babe behind me, and had to be quite assertive to avoid being squeezed from the right as the lanes increase from two to three, the right hand lane becoming a right-turn lane. The 'easy' thing to do is to go to the kerb. The sensible thing to do is to stay in the traffic, even if this means that you lose the advantage of the ASL.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I'm sorry to report but this is another fatality. Female cyclist. RIP

Police at the scene said they had just received information that it was a fatal collision. I hope they are wrong.

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

dellzeqq said:
I've come up to the Oval with the Babe behind me, and had to be quite assertive to avoid being squeezed from the right as the lanes increase from two to three, the right hand lane becoming a right-turn lane. The 'easy' thing to do is to go to the kerb. The sensible thing to do is to stay in the traffic, even if this means that you lose the advantage of the ASL.

I seem to remember the road markings are a bit confusing too. I agree I actually move to the middle lane and am quite happy to queue at this junction.

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

Origamist said:
I'm sorry to report but this is a fatality. Female cyclist. RIP

Oh dear, that's very sad and confirms my fears. It's the first serious RTA I've seen and I'm quite upset and I didn't actually even see it happen just the aftermath.

Very sad.

Jake

Oh dear, that is just awefull. very sad. another lorry another female, another corner

Top Bottom