Incident with Taxi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

format

Über Member
I was cycling in Glasgow City center tonight, and had a run in with a tool of a taxi driver.

First of all, I cycled off Sauchiehall St and up Rose St, stopping at the lights before Renfrew Street. I was sitting in primary as I usually do at lights, and a taxi pulled up behind and inched so close that was nearly touching my rear wheel. Clocking this, I made sure I set off at a good pace, turning right onto Renfrew Street and getting on the right hand side lane so I could continue on instead of turning left.

The lights went green as I was coming down the hill past Mandors, so I carry on. At this point (as you can see here ) there are 4 lanes, and I'm in the lane center right, leaving two whole lanes free. There were no other cars on the road at this time.

Anyway, this taxi driver comes roaring up behind me and passes me so closely that if I'd moved my elbow out a little further he would have caught me. Keep in mind there were two free and empty lanes to his left at this point. I shout 'watch out!' as he went by, and saw him slowing for a red light up ahead. I catch up and pull in near his window, giving it a tap.

He rolls down his window, and say (determined to be polite)

(me) "Please could you give cyclists a little more room when you overtake?"
(taxi) "You're not even supposed to be in this lane.
(me) "What? I've got as much right to be here as you do"
(taxi) "No you don't, this is a dedicated road for buses and taxis"
(me) "That's ridiculous, bikes can go on any roads that buses and taxis can. Besides, there were two other lanes that you could have moved into instead of overtaking my so closely there"
(taxi) " I suppose you cyclists will be taking over all the lanes now, aye?"

At this point I see there is no reasoning with him, and the lights change anyway. I catch him up again at the next lights and note down his taxi license plate, and his normal license plate.

The reason I've bothered with all this is I wanted to know, should I bother doing anything about it?

I don't think there is much point is saying to the police but I was thinking more of complaining to his employers.

What do you think?

rustychisel

I'd have stopped in front of him, pulled out my mobile phone and made a play of taking his photo and registration number. (They're a wonderful tool and you don't need to go for dedicated movie cam etc...)

Usually at that point the driver will either attempt to drive off or get out and ask you what you're doing (both indicating they're afeared of the consequences). I remain calm and tell them that since they refused to discuss their actions politely or rationally that I'll be forwarding an account and photos to their employer/relevant authority/ and or police.

Good for you, BTW. Take the moral high ground and use it. I have no time for people who tell you you'll antagonise the driver or bemoan what they might do to 'the next cyclist they come across'. This is cheap and ignorant, for the driver has already shown what sort of ass they are and of what they are capable (bullying with a vehicle, very manly). Have 'em, take 'em to the cleaners, scare the cr4p out of them if you can.

Keith Oates

Janner
I think that a polite letter to his employers would be the best action, although there is no guarantee they will take any action. Hopefully if the driver gets more complaints they will deal with the situation.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's a taxi driver, they are (mostly) tools. I wouldn't waste me breath on one - I usually just tell them where to go when driving like that - no point getting into discussion with a baboon ! (apologies to any good taxi drivers). Private hire are the pits.

OP
OP
F

format

Über Member
Thanks for the replies guys.

It was a black cab driver, and I have his 'taxi no' as well as his registration number. Does anyone know how or who I would contact about this?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't know the road in question, and I'm sure the OP is right, but I seem to remember some mention that bus and taxi lanes can be closed to bikes - rarely, but it can happen. Signage should make it clear, I think. Worth double checking. (and I may be wrong, but I'm sure it's been discussed)

On the other hand, he was clearly an arse. Even if he was right, he has no right to 'punish' you just to make a point

sabian92

Über Member
I don't know the road in question, and I'm sure the OP is right, but I seem to remember some mention that bus and taxi lanes can be closed to bikes - rarely, but it can happen. Signage should make it clear, I think. Worth double checking. (and I may be wrong, but I'm sure it's been discussed)

On the other hand, he was clearly an arse. Even if he was right, he has no right to 'punish' you just to make a point

Indeed, there's one near me like that and I assume a cyclist was killed because you can see on the signs where they've plated over the bike sign and removed it from the road.

If that is the case though, it doesn't excuse what he did though. It's bordering on attempted murder.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I don't think there is much point is saying to the police but I was thinking more of complaining to his employers.

What do you think?

I think you should drop it and move on with your life.

Not because I am being indifferent but because I predict it will get nowhere, end up with a frustrating result and will simply anger you further to the point that you will begin to colour all taxis with the same light, which will be a mistake.

Taxis (in my experience) dont give a flying fig (nor their employers or their professional bodies) they will simply close ranks and ignore you.

Let it go and enjoy riding your bike.

teekay421

I say report him - if you've went to the trouble of noting his details then you're halfway there.
In my experience in Glasgow I've not met a decent taxi driver, and his behaviour is like intimidation risking your life - he is supposed to be a professional and it's his livelihood he's also risking.

No doubt his employers won’t act on but he’ll continue with his small minded selfish outlook and bully others – I too cycle Glasgow city centre and have to avoid these ‘baboons’ I do not have a camera etc. but if it was me and I had the details as you have I’d not let it go now.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Don't be silly.

Can you have atempted manslaughter? I'm sure I've heard of it, and it never quite made sense, because I understood manslaughter to be non-deliberate causing of death, and if it's non-deliberate, how can it be attempted?

What I mean is, I'm sure that even the crappest stupidest driver probably doesn't mean to kill a cyclist, but a great many of them seem to have no idea of how potentially dangerous a close pass, or throwing something, or shouting so as to make someone jump, can be. So, no, they aren't attempting murder, but they could end up killing someone due to acting stupidly.

(for which we have causing death by dangerous driving, which appears to attract penalties up to and including a smack on the wrist and a stern 'now, now, stop it!')

Taxis (in my experience) dont give a flying fig (nor their employers or their professional bodies) they will simply close ranks and ignore you.

Depends where you are? I've had some success in Leeds making complaints through the taxi licensing dept of the council. Worth at least one try?

The worst that can happen is that you'll know not to go back to them in the future!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Send the complaint in. Keep a record. Then move on. Don't expect anything. Reason I say this is if in a few months you see something in the news that you suspect may be the same driver....

If the employers done nowt..... have been warned about this guy and done nowt....

Same principle as potholes, those responsible have more responsibility if previously notified.

Might make someone elses claim and prosecution less difficult

Top Bottom