Incident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I thought I'd start a topic to work out what went wrong with getting details after an incident, if you've ever been in such a situation. This is prompted by san's post looking for witnesses after a taxi driver drove over his bike in beginners.

It seems it's very hard to be switched on enough and quick enough to get someone's registration number in the stress of the moment, but yet this is so important if you're to have any chance of future comeback.

One trick I've started doing is to memorise the number plate by calling it out also for the video camera to record.

ChrisKH

Guru
Without a camera, make sure you have a camera phone to hand. And tell the guy who has just run over you NOT TO MOVE THE CAR AS YOU ARE PHOTOGRAPHING THE CRASH SITE. This will dispel him from later changing his story to say you went up the inside of him (I didn't) instead of him turning right at a junction and ploughing into you in primary position (he did).

Get witness details. Even Chav ones.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
When I had my last minor bump - I rang my husband and said - I'm ok - write this down... and quoted the details at him. Then backtracked to explain why afterwards.

Touch wood I've had no real incidents recently a few close shaves in the past but on the whole things on the road seems to be improving. In such an event I think I would like to stay focussed and record details, photos, etc but I don't know if I could. And from the few occurences I've had most offenders have disappeared fairly sharpish before I'd have time to get a note pad/ camera phone out of jacket/ panniers.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I find "chunking" reg plates makes it easier to remember them - break them down into 2 or 3 units and repeat them, or look for word associations with the alpha-numeric sequence.

Tynan

Veteran
I was knocked off my scooter last year by a hit and run, two good witnesses both got the number plate and one got a description of the driver

The Police failed to trace the driver, they found the car and the address and the owner who simply said it wasn't him driving, that was it as far as the police were concerned despite me asking them to pursue it

I suspect that if the driver drives off and you're not badly hurt the cops won't do anything unless th eother party confesses and they not going to if the deliberately drive off

sheddy

Legendary Member
Someone here suggested always carrying a permanent (fine tip?) pen to write on your hand or handlebars or anything

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
This is a tricky one, because if you've been hit then it can be difficult to think in a rational and ordered way. After my bonnet-surfing, I was all over the shop mentally and it turned out I was in shock once I was poked and prodded in the ambo. That's where a cam is solid gold.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yup, that's why it might be good to have something set up in your mind beforehand, whether it's for you or someone else. Luckily my only experience in this has been trying to get the details of some idiot company driver who drove badly, but didn't actually knock me off.

thomas

the tank engine
I make a point of calling all number plates out on my helmet camera for any minor problem and more serious ones. This way if anything does happen it will hopefully be instilled into me and I will do it naturally.

In the past I've just said them to myself a lot and then all the way home, which isn't really a good method!

Twiggy

When I came off my bike I had no idea which way was up straight after.

I don't even remember the faces of the people who helped me off the road clearly. The ambulence crew I might be able to pick out of a lineup.

And that was only a minor fall. I image I'd be in a worse state in a more serious accident.

Witnesses and CCTV are your best bet after an accident.

Will1985

Über Member
When I got hit, I immediately went for my phone to take pictures of positions but it was broken. Not very helpful. I did have pen and paper though as I was on my way to a lecture. That didn't help either because I was whisked away to be checked up by first aider as it happened on university property.

I have dictated number plates into my phone on occasion when they have cut me up.

Will1985

Über Member
New incident today - sorted out details, driver called his insurance company and the police then took me to hospital. Very friendly and clearly shocked that he hadn't seen a cyclist until I went across his bonnet. Lots of business cards from witnesses too.

If only they were all like that...

Top Bottom