Income tax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gromit

Über Member
Hiya all, last year I don't think I earned over £6.000 at all, will I be entitled to claim the tax I paid last year. Would be appreciate any advice. :evil:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Phone the tax office - they have always been helpful when I have needed to ask them things.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Income Tax allowances

Income Tax allowances table Income Tax allowances 2008-09 2009-10 2010-11 Personal Allowance (1) £6,035 £6,475 £6,475 Income limit for Personal Allowance Not applicable Not applicable £100,000 Personal Allowance for people aged 65-74 (1)(2) £9,030 £9,490 £9,490 Personal Allowance for people aged 75 and over (1)(2) £9,180 £9,640 £9,640 Married Couple's Allowance (born before 6th April 1935 but aged under 75) (2)(3)(4) £6,535 Not applicable Not applicable Married Couple's Allowance - aged 75 and over (2)(3) £6,625 £6,965 £6,965 Income limit for age-related allowances £21,800 £22,900 £22,900 Minimum amount of Married Couple's Allowance £2,540 £2,670 £2,670 Blind Person's Allowance £1,800 £1,890 £1,8

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
oops..that table didnt come out well on here...
anyway..the Personal allowance is £6475 for the 2009/10 tax year and you are within this threshold.
You should contact the IR. I'm Assuming the £6000 figure you mentioned referrs to your total worldwide income and you didnt earn income from other sources.

OP
OP
Gromit

Gromit

Über Member
Cool thank you< didn't get any income from anywhere else. Will give them a call later on.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Are you employed or self-employed?

When you say "last year" don't forget that the returns are for the period 6/4/08 to 5/4/09

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Accountantpete - am I right in thinking that there is a "Shortened Tax form" for the reclaim of over-paid tax. It used to be much shorter :tongue: and simpler than a self-assessment form. Does it have the same date to be returned by?

ChrisKH

Guru
I would suggest you apply for a UTR (Unique Tax Reference number) if you don't have one (using form SA1 - see the Inland Revenue's website) and file a Return online if you want a refund processed. Left it a bit late for 08/09 but assuming you are entitled to a refund for that year you should be ok.

Don't forget, tax years run from 6th April to 5th April so you can't file a Return before April 2010 for the period 6/4/09 through 05/04/10.

The Revenue actively discourage Tax Returns being filed if you have a simple tax position and are only under PAYE (Pay As You Earn). It might be worthwhile giving the Revenue a ring at the tax office for your last employment and asking about the best way to get a refund*. This will be the tax office listed on your form P60 and possibly your payslips (usually a tax reference number and an office shown). Your employer or former employer will have these details if you don't. If you have multiple employers in one tax year, I suspect the Revenue will require an Tax Return to be filed before processing a refund.

* As Speicher says there may be a shortened form to use for simple cases.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Speicher said:
Accountantpete - am I right in thinking that there is a "Shortened Tax form" for the reclaim of over-paid tax. It used to be much shorter :tongue: and simpler than a self-assessment form. Does it have the same date to be returned by?

There is for things like tax paid on interest for pensioners etc who shouldn't have paid it in the first place and there is also a separate Short Tax return for simple cases- you need to ask for a copy in both cases.

If you are PAYE'd and without other income then there is no time deadline except where time limits for a claim to repayment are involved.

The Short Tax Return is really no different to the full one - you just don't leave so many blank spaces!

Top Bottom