Increased police presence.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I think you will always have buttons on the island because otherwise a slow ped could get stranded. It's to do with the number of independent sets of green men. If there's only one set, it's one crossing. If there are two sets of independents ones, it is two crossings.

Any copper starts lecturing me about plastic bobble hats I swear I'll do time.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Results of the checks are out
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25618915

Since the beginning of Operation Safeway on 25 November, a total of 13,818 fines have been issued, with 4,085 given to cyclists.
Police said cyclists were fined for jumping red lights, cycling on footpaths and having incorrect lights.
Motorists were given fines for offences including driving without insurance and driving without wearing a seatbelt.
In addition 209 people were arrested during the operation for offences including assault, dangerous driving, driving while disqualified and drink driving.
No motorist caught jumping red lights ?

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Last Monday, the Met carried out spot-checks on cyclists and HGVs in Vauxhall.
In four hours, the officers stopped 70 lorries and issued 15 fixed penalty notices for offences such as the vehicles not being fit for the road.
Just over one in five. That shows where the real problem is.

RedRider

Pulling through
the Evening Standard report is here, 1056 drivers fined for traffic light offences.
The paper's stance on cycling has been heartening recently. It's editorial from Jan 2 plugs 'presumed liability' saying the courts need to be tougher on motorists who kill cyclists and pedestrians.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
It's hard to get a real feel for the breakdown of offences when the biggest group of offenders - more than all cyclists - is motoring offences classed as other.
Probably because all a cyclist can do wrong it RLJ, Pavement, no lights. Whereas motoring offences are probably in their thousands.

fimm

Veteran
42 fines for driving in a cycle lane.

"Det Ch Supt Glyn Jones said: "We've noticed that road users are generally behaving in a much safer manner, and we have issued fewer fixed penalty notices (FPNs) as the operation has progressed." "
...pretty much goes to show that more enforcement makes everyone behave better.

Top Bottom