Incredible sight from my back garden this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Yuh should have took a few pix. !!!

Proto

Legendary Member
Stepped out onto the patio this morning, looked up and saw a six red kites floating free on the breeze. Later, cycled to my workshop, five miles away. Noticed another kite and a pair of buzzards circling. Watched a hare bounding across the field, and the sheep ambling about. Yep, Oxfordshire does have some advantages.

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Proto said:
Stepped out onto the patio this morning, looked up and saw a six red kites floating free on the breeze. Later, cycled to my workshop, five miles away. Noticed another kite and a pair of buzzards circling. Watched a hare bounding across the field, and the sheep ambling about. Yep, Oxfordshire does have some advantages.

My red kite was wild - not something reared in an RSPB battery farm and released. :ohmy:

Proto

Legendary Member
Patrick Stevens said:
My red kite was wild - not something reared in an RSPB battery farm and released. ;)

Countryman/gamekeeper I know tells me that Buzzards were not that common in this area until recent times. Rumours of them being reared and released with the intention of them creating enough kills to keep the Kites alive. If so, it's working. I've seen as many as twenty Kites at one time near my home (Thame).

oxbob

Kites,common as sparrows round here ;)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
There's been some red kites in Sussex in the last couple of years. Buzzards, peregrines, sparrowhawks and kestrels too.
Oh, and the pubs are nicer in Sussex too!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
There are peregrines nesting on a block of flats in the town centre and some more on the chimney of Shoreham power station. Very adaptable birds!

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
rich p said:
There are peregrines nesting on a block of flats in the town centre and some more on the chimney of Shoreham power station. Very adaptable birds!

I used to have to go to a select cliff face in the vicinity to seen peregrines nesting - now they nest on Wrexham police station.

Watched a Peregrine(?) bring a duck down outside our house. The duck made it under a car and I never saw the eventual outcome, incredible to see though.

Top Bottom