Indyref 2

AndyRM

XOXO
Meh, diversionary tactics, smokescreen & mirrors.
Much of Salmond’s Indy document made sense. Then came the financial fantasy. Just like it is now.
When did facts become "diversionary tactics, smokescreen & mirrors."?

OP
pjd57

pjd57

Veteran
When did facts become "diversionary tactics, smokescreen & mirrors."?
Scotland wouldn't be allowed EU membership.....plucked out of thin air.

Border posts....fantasy.
Currency ....every other nation manages to have a currency or use one.
Pensions....MPs deliberately ignored DWP advice and used scare tactics.
Media bias.....I could go on all day.

Gordon Brown and " the Vow "

Smoke and mirrors is being polite about the lies that were told.

Brompton Bruce

Coffeeeeeeeee pleeeeease
I currently work and live in Perth, but Scottish born and bred. Och Aye!

There’s a bunch of silly non-logic in this thread......how about Australia re-run the 1967 Aboriginal referendum?
I was merely trying to find out when it would be appropriate to rerun a referendum. For many two years is too soon for some hundreds of years is also too soon. But when and under what circumstances? It’s a genuine question.

Had the UKgov actually kept the promises made in 2014, then this thread wouldn't exist: There would be a few people in Scotland chuntering away, but everyone else would be enjoying all the investment flowing into the country from the rest of the UK, membership of the EU, and of course the broad ranging new powers, guaranteed of course by law, that Holyrood now enjoyed.

The independence movement would be dead and the SNP would probably be a minority party in the Scottish Parliament.

The only reason we are having this discussion at all is the behaviour of the Unionist parties. They decided they didn't need to "respect the vote" in 2014 and could go back on their promises.

Last edited:

Slick

Veteran
There is nothing your average jock likes more than a buffoon of a prime minister telling them what they can and cannot do in their own backyard.

Thanks Boris.:okay:🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

BoldonLad

Über Member
Good point. I was just thinking of people born in Scotland but it could be very tricky, if not impossible, to administer and check.
Yes. Was not being difficult, just acknowledging the tangled result of 300+ years of free movement.

As a personal example:

I was born in England, as were my Mother and Father, but, my Paternal Grandfather was born in Scotland, and moved to Tyneside to work in the coal mines. Am I (potentially) a Scot?

My ex-wife, both parents born in England, as were her Grandparents, but, now, married to a Scot, and living in Scotland, is she a Scot?

I am sure there are many, many more complex examples.

I won't say, how I view myself, in case I ruffle any feathers. ;)

Slick

Veteran
Yes. Was not being difficult, just acknowledging the tangled result of 300+ years of free movement.

As a personal example:

I was born in England, as were my Mother and Father, but, my Paternal Grandfather was born in Scotland, and moved to Tyneside to work in the coal mines. Am I (potentially) a Scot?

My ex-wife, both parents born in England, as were her Grandparents, but, now, married to a Scot, and living in Scotland, is she a Scot?

You wouldn't ruffle my feathers either way as I do like people to nail their colours to the mast early doors. :okay:

Slick

Veteran

As a personal example:

The simple truth is if you qualify as a voter in Scotland you qualify to vote in the referendum regardless of where you were born, which is right in my opinion.

The simple truth is if you qualify as a voter in Scotland you qualify to vote in the referendum regardless of where you were born, which is right in my opinion.
Not only that, but EU nationals who didn't "qualify" for the Brexit ref, could vote in the Indyref, which is also right and gives a positive impression of the sort of country they were aiming for.

BoldonLad

Über Member
You wouldn't ruffle my feathers either way as I do like people to nail their colours to the mast early doors. :okay:
OK. Here goes.

This whole petty Nationality thing bores me rigid.

I quite enjoy the existence of National (or even local) "Heritage" ie Fish and Chips, Haggis, Bagpipes, Morris Dancing, French Onion Sellers in stripy tee-shirts etc, but, beyond that, nothing.

I regard myself as British-European. ;)

Top Bottom