Inflating to full pressure...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
After having just repaired a puncture, is it OK to re-inflate to full pressure (115psi in my case)? I always seem wary of this *just* in case the patch has not fully bonded to the inner tube.:biggrin:

Edit: on the subject of repair kits, I still haven't figured out what the tiny piece of rubber tubing is for, that comes with some kits.:blush:

yello

How long is "just"... it's ages since I've used a puncture repair kit at the roadside so the repairs I do are back at home, but I've always thought that the 3 or 4 minutes it takes to get the tyre back on, wheel back in, etc is sufficient for the patch to stick...

On a related subject, I recall reading somewhere recently that inflating your tyres beyond 110psi makes little or no difference for the average cyclist.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If it pumps up to 30psi OK, the extra 85psi won't make any difference.
The point where a patch may leak is at the start when the tube is expanding to fit the tyre. After that, the pressure in the tyre is just going to hold the patch on tighter.

The bit of rubber tube in puncture kits is for mending old-style Woods valves.

Tynan

Veteran
As far as I'm concerned, using rubber solution etc etc, by the time I've put it all back together and fitted the pump it's stronger than it was before, good as instant I reckon

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Thanks for the replies.

Now, any takers for what the tiny piece of rubber tubing is for?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I believe it is a spare for the old woods type valves, or I could be completely wrong :biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I believe it is a spare for the old woods type valves, or I could be completely wrong :biggrin:

Apparently so. Andrew S said in his post. He knows what he's talking about.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
longers said:
Apparently so. Andrew S said in his post. He knows what he's talking about.

Oops missed that

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Arc-Valve-rubber-for-woods-valves-4108.htm

Globalti

Legendary Member
Maz said:
Thanks for the replies.

Now, any takers for what the tiny piece of rubber tubing is for?

It used to be for the old Woods valves, as others have written. The rubber used to perish. It fits over the end where the hole is and hinders your efforts to pump air out past it into the tube.

A Wood's valve yesterday:

4099woodsvalve_l.jpg

Nowadays though the mice in your garage will find them excellent as little condoms, so don't throw them away unless you want to sabotage the Mouse King's population control programme.

I't been so lon since I've fixed a p'ture on the road, a spare tube usually suffices and I wouldn't be able to get to 120psi with the hand pump. With repairs I do at home I usually pump the tire up a bit and leave it over night and if I have no issues with it/ Ive been successful it becomes my spare and I have no qualms about going to circa 120psi.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Rigid Raider said:
It used to be for the old Woods valves, as others have written. The rubber used to perish. It fits over the end where the hole is and hinders your efforts to pump air out past it into the tube.
That's interesting. Actually, I now know I have Woods valves on my old Pashley trike - they looked weird and I didn't know what they were called. I tried to pump the tyres up (using a schrader pump), but ended up taking out more air than I put in. Should I be using the schrader pump for these valves?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I think (if I can recall) that a flexible connector hose with a Presta end will actually screw onto a Woods valve. Schraeder is too big. Anybody?

Last time I tried to blow up a tube with a Woods I nearly gave myself a hernia. Maybe the condom had hardened up a bit.

Top Bottom