Inner tubes and presta valves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had my rear tyre blow last night, I've put a replacement on which came with the bike but now I don't have a spare.

I am using a 700C*23C Michelin tyre but am unsure what size presta valve I should be using, is it just the length of the valve that is different?

Are the Michelin Butyl Airstop inner tubes any good? They're on offer for £2.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Had my rear tyre blow last night, I've put a replacement on which came with the bike but now I don't have a spare.

I am using a 700C*23C Michelin tyre but am unsure what size presta valve I should be using, is it just the length of the valve that is different?

I think the valve length related to the depth of the wheel. Unless you are using very deep dish rims just about any valve will be fine :smile:

Michelin are a good brand. I see no reason no to get them.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

I've used them with no problems

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

It is the length of the valve that varies, and it is the depth of your rim that determines what you need. For example, 40mm are fine for Mavic Aksiums. Longer valves will fit, but it can be a PITA to replace the tube if they are overlong. I just ordered some of the Airstop Tubes (CRC). They do not have a threaded stem by the way- no lock ring - can be a minor problem if you have a push on pump.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
It is the length of the valve that varies, and it is the depth of your rim that determines what you need. For example, 40mm are fine for Mavic Aksiums. Longer valves will fit, but it can be a PITA to replace the tube if they are overlong. I just ordered some of the Airstop Tubes (CRC). They do not have a threaded stem by the way- no lock ring - can be a minor problem if you have a push on pump.

Yes I was going to ask about this what is it with the smooth sides of these valves. All the 26" MTB tubes I have had threaded valves.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I make sure I always get specialized tubes, then you know you get threaded valves and the core isn't removable.

Well worth knowing :smile:

youngoldbloke

I alway make sure I don't get spesh tubes, they're the only ones I've had fail on me at the tube/valve connection ;)

I've had that problem with Conti tubes too - probably self inflicted by careless removal of push on pumps.

youngoldbloke

I've been using Bontager tubes for a while now with no probs & at 3 for 1 they're good value too :thumbsup:

V good deal - any delivery charge on top of that? Just looked at their website and couldn't see any mention - sites that require you to register, make up passwords and give your great grandmother's maiden name etc, etc, before telling you that their minimum postage is £ 6.95, really p... me off.

Top Bottom