Inner Tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ian emmerson

Having bought a new tube today, it has got me wondering if any particular make is better than others ? and also the difference between brands ?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Much of a muchness, though I wouldn't buy Continentals again as I have had problems with leaking valves.

sayek1

I use to buy Contis but I had a couple of valves snap on me when pumping them up - I don't think I am overly aggressive. I've also just got a new Topeak pump which has a hose on the end and a foot plate to hold steady so I can hopefully get more than 60 PSI in if caught out on the road.

Cycle Active did a review a couple of motnhs back and reckoned Vittoria were the best - I've bought a few since and although its a bit early to tell I haven't had any problems.

Crepello

I used to buy Nutrak 25-32mm inners from CRC coz they were cheap and light (100g). Have noticed that the tube thickness varies when pumped up out of the tyre and I had one fail in the join. Michelin look better quality from the few I've bought.

It would depend on whether you are a one puncture n bin person or a multiple repairer type, when quality would seem to matter more.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Schwalbe are best in my experience. They hold their air well and valves tend to be better.

Other than Schwalbe, I don't think there is too much difference.

The Wilko cheapies in my runabout mtb are pretty decent too.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
You can always band together with a few local cyclists for a bulk buy, get a better quality tube at a more reasonable price. I've seen some good offers on quantities of 50 or more.

The Eighth Man

I have Vittoria tubes in my "best" bike they were bought at the same time and fitted at the same time, the back one stays at 120 psi forever, the front one needs pumping up ever three to four weeks. I think it is pot luck

Davidc

Guru
I've found Schwalbe good, Continental good but have had to clean specks of dirt out of the valves on some brand new ones earlier this year.

I have had to use a Halfords 26" one recently - OK, it works, but it leaks air much faster than Schwalbe or Conti ones.

lukesdad

Never had a problem with Conti s tbh, Lighter ones are thinner, and I always drop my pressures after a ride and re-inflate. Helps longevity on my tyres too.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Shwalbe.:wacko: I bought two recently. The first split spectacularly on first inflation. The second one had a very slow leaking valve from new. I must have been unlucky, but I'm not going out of my way to seek them out again.

earth

I've got some Panaracer R-Air tubes on standby. They are butyl tubes that seem to stretch a bit more than others and they weigh in at 66 grams. Might be a good compromise between butyl and latex. Michelin latex ones on at the moment.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Cheap inner tubes tend to be heavy, it is amazing how people will spend a lot of money to get a lighter wheel set then use cheap heavy tubes... :evil::laugh:

Peter10

I have Kenda tubes. No issues with them yet. Both wheels are well over 140psi. I haven't ridden the bike in a week for a few reasons and they had gone down slightly but nothing to be worried about.

Top Bottom